Produce > Pests & Diseases

Aphids

(1/6) > >>

Digeroo:
I am really struggling with aphids.
Black on a cherry trees, white, grey and green ones on the blackcurrants, and big black ones on the broadbeans,

Never seen so many, and obviously there are the farmer ants.

Oddly enough the apple tree which suffered really badly is ok.  I sprayed it with nettle tea early one as a precautions,

Never had them so bad on the blackcurrants.

What sprays do people use?

I saw a program where they were using a vacuum cleaner to remove aphids, so I have bought a small hand held one and am going to give that a try.

johhnyco15:
bayer fruit and veg bug spray its the dogs danglees

squeezyjohn:
Just to give a little balance ... I would personally NEVER use insecticides at this time of year because it's when the bees are at their busiest ... there would be no way I could use any spray on the blackfly on my broad beans without getting bees too who are pollinating the flowers.  I wish everyone would stick to squirting soft soap solution, bicarbonate of soda, hand squishing every day etc.  The bees are just too d**n precious at the moment.

Digeroo:
I normally spray the broad beans with a water jet.  Normally takes a couple of times to nuts them, but we have no water pressure at the moment.

I think I need something to get rid of the ants.  I squished every leaf of the cherry tree and the next morning several leaves were caked in black again.  I might have missed a leaf but I do not think so. Loads of ants. 

galina:
Struggling here too, they even went for the tomato plants which is unheard of.  I haven't seen a single ladybird.  What's happened to them?

Yes, hand squishing, squirting on broadies and dipping in soap solution are the remedies here too, luckily there seem to be a good number of bees here.  But where are the ladybirds?  We need them and their larvae  :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version