Author Topic: Runner bean growing tips dying  (Read 1511 times)

dicky

• Half Acre
Runner bean growing tips dying
« on: May 23, 2017, 13:14:05 »
Has anyone had this before, is it caused by me damaging them untangling them or perhaps by them drying out at some point in their pots?

Dicky
http://dickysfarm.blogspot.co.uk

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Runner bean growing tips dying
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 15:13:00 »
i think its sun scorch the tips may have been burnt by direct sunlight or under watering i keep all  mine when i plant them out with debris netting around them to stop wind and sun scorch until they are around 3ft high then i remove it    hope this helps :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 17:27:03 »
Thanks Johnny

I suspect the same as he ones at home have done it now too. The ones on the plot are sheltered hence I suspected the damage element.

I read that they sweat a lot because of the large leaves and in pots the roots can't deliver enough water to make up for it.

Direct sowing of replacements me thinks!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 22:45:12 »
If it is just the tips that have gone, then all that has happened is that you have stopped them earlier than otherwise. You will hae side shoots coming out, so have bushier plants that will crop just as well. I've been tempted to nip out tips when planting leggy plants out but was not bothered! If the plants are alive, no need to discard them.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:06:37 »
I have had the first shoot die back but then another shoot comes up and does fine. Don't despair !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal