Author Topic: is it too cold still?  (Read 1318 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
is it too cold still?
« on: May 22, 2017, 16:02:16 »
Nightime temps down to 13C min, is it too cold to leave my tomatoes and courgettes out at night?

I saw on GW that Monty planted out his french beans, but I thought it'd be too cold still (and I'm much further south than he is!) Anyone got a good minimum temperature sheet?
gone to pot :D

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: is it too cold still?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 17:55:10 »
Nightime temps down to 13C min, is it too cold to leave my tomatoes and courgettes out at night?

I saw on GW that Monty planted out his french beans, but I thought it'd be too cold still (and I'm much further south than he is!) Anyone got a good minimum temperature sheet?
i harden off plants from 10 degrees  after a week of these temps and no frost forecast i would plant out hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 18:28:54 »
If you can provide some shelter from the wind, perhaps with poly cloches, glass cloches, old windows formed as tent cloches, then no problem. These will maximise daytime radiation, warm the soil and protect from dessication of drying winds as well as protection of tender tissue. Try to not water, or water early in the day, preventing cold, wet soil at night. Its worth  doing, the season is short enough without delaying .
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 18:47:10 »
Great! I'll plant them out tomorrow. They will go in pots next to the brick wall of the house. I have some clear corregated plastic I can use for extra protection.
gone to pot :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 03:53:29 »
I try and keep courgettes about 7 or 8C.  However they do not like wind.   So if you can keep them out of the wind they will be fine.   I like to keep my under a  bit of fleece for a bit longer.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal