Author Topic: Camellia leaves going brown and no flowers  (Read 1468 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Camellia leaves going brown and no flowers
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:08 »
In December I had to move my 4ft high Camellia as we were increasing the size of our drive. I dug it out with a good root ball and moved it 3ft putting it in a large amount of acid compost. To my delight for 4 months it looked like it had never been moved. The buds  and leaves looked healthy. Then just over a week ago many of the leaves started to go brown, dry and hard and the buds have not opened into flowers (although they still look OK). We have had a dry spell of several weeks (until a week ago when it has chucked it down). Is it due to drought or something else?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Camellia leaves going brown and no flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:50:08 »
Drought I should think, especially if it's still recovering from being moved.

You may be able to save it with a good drenching and then keep it watered but not sodden until you see signs of recovery.

When a perennial plant is stressed, the first thing it does is sacrifice flowers.  Camellias make theirs form late summer and must never be allowed to dry out from then until late autumn or they will drop their buds so if yours does recover, give it some liquid tomato food in with its drinks and some slow release blood, fish and bone or rose food.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:12:11 »
as obelixx said drought  The roots have not had time to explore all that new compost  however they do make a acid loving feed i give my blueberries it twice a year i give it a go with some of that also some bonemeal watered in in keep watering it through the summer one good drink every week  should be ample to get it over the shock please let me know how it fairs
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 20:30:07 »
Well I've taken your advice. I removed all the dead leaves (about 50% of the leaves on the bush) and have fed it with an acid feed.
I'll let you know what happens.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal