Author Topic: Lavender  (Read 1537 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Lavender
« on: May 21, 2017, 20:42:38 »
How quickly does lavender grow? I got 48 tiny plants on offer for postage only. I've potted them up into 3" pots and they have grown a bit. I'm thinking of putting them in 10" pots and am wondering how many per pot? I'm also wondering if they would survive in front of a leylandii hedge if i can  get them between the roots?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Lavender
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 21:16:08 »
I think you should pot each one into gradually bigger pots, as you would any other plant.   Lavender, in flower, will get quite wide and tall so I wouldn't squish them up in groups in a pot.   They need full sun and good drainage and an alkaline soil to do well so aren't really suitable for competing with a conifer hedge. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:51:10 »
More or less nothing copes with a leylandii hedge.

You might get three in a 10 inch pot but personally I think in the end one would be better.

Thanks for the offer of the lavender but the size rules for postage are not very helpful now, and posting them will be surprisingly expensive. 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 13:14:34 »
Thanks, I'll let them grow on and then decide where to put them. Just to be clear, i wasn't offering lavender plants, i was saying that I bought them on a "postage only deal".  :happy7:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 13:57:22 »
If you can give them good drainage, they make a lovely edge to a path or they can be planted with roses to help deter aphids or be used as as an edge to a well drained herb bed with other Mediterranean herbs.  If you haven't good drainage or are exposed to strong cold winds in winter, keep them in pots and move them around the garden or lottie as needed for attracting pollinators or deterring aphids and then move into shelter for winter.
Obxx - Vendée France

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 19:55:33 »
Hi they are slow to grow  and painfully slow to root as cuttings!  I've found that you can often use heathers at the foot of conifers as they can tolerate acidic and dry. Good luck x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal