Author Topic: Lawn edging  (Read 1439 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Lawn edging
« on: May 19, 2017, 23:06:38 »
I have an irregular shaped lawn and want some cheap flexible edging which sinks right down so that lawn mower can go over the top. The weeds in my borders ingress into the edges of the lawn. I have taken a look on ebay but it is quite expensive. Has anyone got any ideas on making something myself that would be effective?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Lawn edging
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 07:23:44 »
I tried the cheap flexible plastic edging and sorely regretted it. It isn't up to the job, and breaks and disintegrates quickly. was a complete waste of time.

I eventually bought Everedge which is expensive but very well made indeed, also I found it surprisingly easy to put in. There's a type for just lawns, also a heavy duty one for driveways.

You can get a galvanised corrugated metal lawn edging from Ebay and Gardman which look cheaper, there are probably others too,  but I don't reckon they'll be quite as good as the Everedge.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 08:03:55 »
I used old roof tiles the pan tile type ones. Been a skip diver for years.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 13:39:54 »
Talking of skip-diving, really heavy PVC lino is great (industrial stuff is best), easy to cut into 15cm widths and strong enough to stay straight upright if the bed behind it isn't more than say 3cm below the lawn. Obviously the more wibbly-wobbly the lawn edge is the stiffer the lino will be. You could try folding a wider strip of lighter gauge and fitting fold-upwards - a hot air gun would help for a neat job.

But it has to be fresh - not really old, so it isn't brittle and will stay like that for several years, and then come out in one piece when its edge finally starts to go.

High quality carpet tiles are a possibility.

Depending on your area's housing profile, quite big pieces of UPVC fascia cladding can turn up in skips, but only useful for straight lines (and far too valuable really - so good for raised beds).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal