Author Topic: Flea beetle eaten radishes 🙁  (Read 1252 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Flea beetle eaten radishes 🙁
« on: May 19, 2017, 21:26:22 »
Can anything about this? Every time I grow them they get eaten by something. I am guessing it's flea beetles.

DUke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

small

• Hectare
Re: Flea beetle eaten radishes 🙁
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 22:39:20 »
I only grow radishes in containers now, up on a bench, I lose them sown direct in the ground, yes, flea beetle I'm sure. They don't seem to find them up high, though.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:49:47 »
A physical barrier such as enviromesh or even an old net curtain will protect them or as small has said in a container about 2ft off the ground.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 13:46:12 »
Brushing the plants with sticky fly-trap sheets can decimate the flea beetles - just leave the cover on the first 2 cm so it doesn't actually stick to the leaves. They jump randomly so quick passes after they move back can be very effective.

Lawrence D Hills attached his to a pole with tall wheels either side that bounce the bugs back to the sticky (you could use old LPs) - quicker and less bending. Perspex wheels would be even better - I think the bugs fear moving shadows.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 22:29:44 »
I have mine in a pallet topper, with another one on top of it  and it seems to keep them away... like carrot flies I think they stay close to the ground...

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 09:11:13 »
I’ve given up radishes!  Flea beetles win every time!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal