Author Topic: Foxgloves  (Read 2972 times)

Jim 123

Foxgloves
« on: May 21, 2017, 16:35:19 »
Everytime I try to transplant a wild foxglove into my "nature reserve " it flowers then dies over winter! Any one got any ideas how to make it come every year?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Foxgloves
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 17:05:02 »
most foxgloves are biannual meaning the grow one year flower set seed then die  id try to raise some from seed then give it a try  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 18:16:57 »
Wait until they set seed with the lowest seedpods on the stem brown and opening then shake the thousands of seeds over the area you wish to seed.

They will come up in their own time and flower the summer after germination. Possibly do the same next year and your 'nature reserve' will be self sufficient in foxgloves.

That's what I do to have a yearly digitalis show.:happy7:

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 18:23:14 »
Welcome to A4A by the way. You will find the answer to any gardening question from friendly and knowledgeable people. :happy7:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 19:08:06 »
I hope you're not taking foxgloves from the wild to plant in your garden.  It's illegal.  Very easy to find seeds for all colours and sizes of foxglove from main seed company or maybe just collect seed from friends' gardens?  Sow them fresh and they will produce the base rosette fairly quickly.  The flowering stems are produced in the 2nd year and then it all starts again and you end up with a succession of plants from one year to the next.
Obxx - Vendée France

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 01:23:06 »
I hope you're not taking foxgloves from the wild to plant in your garden.  It's illegal.
True that it's illegal to dig up wild plants without the landowner's permission, but there's nothing wrong with collecting some seeds to sow in you garden, especially with something as common as foxgloves.

Jim 123

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 21:13:38 »
No I'm not taking them from the wild they grow on waste land on our allotments just would like to get them to grow on my plot as they always seem alive with bees

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal