Author Topic: What a faff  (Read 1766 times)

ACE

• Hectare
What a faff
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:30:01 »
Artichokes for dinner, all that faff for a couple of mouthfuls. I have loads on the plants so we had to have a go at them, nice but nothing to write home about but the perfect slimming food as they must negate any calories with the preparation and fiddly eating. I have a couple of dozen to give away tonight at the pub, the rest will be left to flower.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: What a faff
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 21:37:51 »
I love watching the bees swimming in the big blue flowers. 

I once had some lovely fried ones in Italy.   But agree there is so little to eat.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:53:32 »
I did wonder when I saw your post with the artichokes.  About third of my allotment was full of them when I took over but having faffed once they went on the compost heap. A few for the 🐝 would be nice.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 13:13:47 »
Are we  talking about globe artichokes or Jerusalem artichokes. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 13:42:19 »
I think that Ace means globe as I have seen a photo  of the plot but can't remember if on here or FB.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 16:55:52 »
I've had a load already too. 

I don't begrudge them being a faff to prepare although I see how doing just one or two would be a bit pointless.  If you pick 10 or 20 small chokes you can do them all in a big stock pot together for about 20 minutes, plunge in to cold water to coon, the outer leaves come off very easily together, trim the top leaves with a knife, trim the skin round the bottom and cut in half and plop them in a mix of lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. 

The result is a big bowl of top quality sweet artichoke antipasti that you can keep in the fridge and would cost about £20 in a deli (and plenty of material for the compost heap!)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 08:28:33 »
My plants are huge this year they are already up to my forehead and no sign of a flower yet.  Hoping for a bumber crop.  I did not know you could cook them whole and then sort them out.  But I doubt I will get 20 or 30 more like four or five but they are usually quite large.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 14:43:41 »
To my palate they taste of nothing at all.  Adding garlic, lemon juice and olive oil makes them taste of garlic, lemon juice and oil but I might as well be eating cardboard.
Naturally I don't grow them but they also take so much space for such a small return that very few people do on my site..
Naturally we do have an Italian couple whose plot seems almost given over to them!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal