Author Topic: Parsley?  (Read 1871 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Parsley?
« on: May 19, 2017, 05:30:21 »
Sowed some parsley have a whole rush of new seedlings.
However I am sure the seedling do not look quite right.
Are they poppies, chickweed, nipplewort, fat hen, milk thistle etc etc?
Is there any parsley at all.  No I do not think so!!   :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Parsley?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:21:42 »
Many years ago a gardening mentor told me ' if it grows in a straight like, it is what you've sown'.  Best argument ever against broadcasting seed.   :sunny:

But don't give up hope yet.  Parsley is notoriously slow to germinate, and hope you will still get it come up Digeroo.   :wave:

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 07:46:32 »
Agree with Galina👍🏻When I started gardening I broadcast sowed hardy annuals in large patches in my new garden. I couldn't tell my *A* from my elbow. The next year I sowed them in straight lines within my large patches☺️😊....much better.

DUke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 08:48:43 »
Parsley HUH! I've made 3 separate sowings of parsley, first attempt indoors, 2nd in the greenhouse and latest try indoors in prop - none of them have shown any sign of germination  :hmh:
It was a fresh packet of seed, as well!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:35:25 »
Only time I've ever got parsley to germinate it is when I watered it with a kettle-full of boiling water. The heat causes it to germinate.
gone to pot :D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:48:26 »
I no longer bother sowing parsley seed - every other year I buy a pot of flat leaf parsley from Lidl, plant it out into a good sized pot, spreading the roots a bit, and have an ample supply for two years. I do the same each year for basil. Both pots go into the greenhouse for the winter, thus prolonging the season.

Tricia :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:56:04 »
Many years ago a gardening mentor told me ' if it grows in a straight line, it is what you've sown'.  Best argument ever against broadcasting seed.   :sunny:

But don't give up hope yet.  Parsley is notoriously slow to germinate, and hope you will still get it come up Digeroo.   :wave:

Brilliant and true - I kept a straight face years ago when a newbie told me that "straight rows are ugly - I'm going to sow in curves". The curves never made it to being visible when they were there, and there are straight rows now - and I'm still laughing...

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:54:51 »
I had a massive supply of curly parsley last year, gave loads away for people to freeze. I read that the taste gets pretty poor in the flowering year, so it is all composted and I sowed a row of flat leaf, ebay bought and it has come up nicely. The straight line tip is excellent

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 14:46:12 »
Hello,
I've just been up to the school garden - where it appears we have parsley coming out of our ears. I did inform them that parsley was predictably hard to germinate so if we get it to we are good gardeners. Lots of eager faces today who couldn't wait to tell me they are good gardeners as 12 pots of parsley with about 20 seedling in have germinated. I have never known anything like it as they have been outside and not undercover and it was a packet of 39p seeds from Lidl.
Nora  :blob7:
Norf London

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 15:32:33 »
I had a packet of free seeds, I just bunged them in a pot at the allotment, they are doing great!
So does that make me a good gardener?  :tongue3:
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 17:37:09 »
I had a packet of free seeds, I just bunged them in a pot at the allotment, they are doing great!
So does that make me a good gardener?  :tongue3:

Obviously and I must be a bad one - but I don't agree so won't let it worry me  :tongue3:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 21:05:54 »
I do buy parsley  from Tesco but I wanted some more.

It might come up it might be there but the weeds are so thick and strong that it will be extremely difficult to weed them out.  Decided it was better to try again.

I have found that surface sowing into a pot covered with plastic on the windowsill very effective.  Straight outside is a waste of time.

I did sow in straight lines.   The weeds just came up quicker and stronger.

My mother used to use the kettle method, I think some of the weeds do not like it.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 20:37:36 »
I cheat with Parsley , I buy it at the supermarket , when I see it reduced to 50p ! And plant it out and cover with a clear plastic cloche over winter .
Trespassers will be composted !

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 22:27:30 »
OH sows ours and it always comes up strong... just about to plant out 24 3"pots of the stuff...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal