Author Topic: Composting Foxgloves  (Read 1443 times)

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Composting Foxgloves
« on: July 30, 2017, 15:07:17 »
I have just cut down my Foxgloves and was wondering if they can be safely composted so that I could use the compost on the allotment.   I know people have said they are poisonous but not sure if they are when rotted down.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 15:17:21 by MervF »

small

• Hectare
Re: Composting Foxgloves
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 17:36:41 »
I've always composted foxgloves, I can't see a mechanism for their toxicity surviving rotting down, being spread and then entering any vegetables growing in the soil, though I haven't done the science. I tend to think that if compost is well made, then most dodgy stuff is rendered harmless.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 17:59:33 »
I don't have a definitive answer ... and this question has made me think.  However - I have done this and suffered no ill effects. ... my understanding is that the toxins are concentrated in the flowers/seeds but I thought that by the time they've been composted then they will be harmless.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 18:49:22 »
i dont compost my foxgloves i just leave them where they are at the back of the border where they self seed for another year hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:28:37 »
I can't see that composted foxgloves will be any more risky than growing ones. Of course this is not a scientific research based comment! I just keep them out of the way of the rabbits.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal