Author Topic: whats next?  (Read 2087 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
whats next?
« on: May 15, 2017, 21:42:52 »
Hi All,

Well i am feeling a little lost at the moment with the garden i really feel like is should be doing more but have lost the will.

Have repotted 9 fruit bushes into larger pots for more perminant sighting (only filled pots 2/3rd so i can still lift them).

I have sewn 4 trays of onions (was not 100% sure any of them would take as they were clearence).

Have sewn 3 trays of peas and beans (only 2 plants up so far).

Have sewn 12 pots of various seeds (brassica to squash) and some are germinating.

But feel i should be doing more :( any suggestions ?

Cam

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: whats next?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 21:50:18 »
There is still plenty of time for most things, just remember little and often with the sowings and you dont get gluts and just carry on enjoying what you have done. If you want to do more there are always areas that need a hoe to keep the weeds off. I used to try and get everything done asap and that took the fun out of it.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:25:45 »
Successional sowing as hippydave suggests.
My mantra for the year. :tongue3:
Looks like you have done well, is the garden all how you want it now Cam?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:22:00 by pumpkinlover »

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:22:53 »
Any flowers?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 20:46:30 »
Still time for most things. 

What do you actually like to eat?  Lots of beans, including beans for the freezer?  Lots of salading stuff?  Carrots?  Bit late for sowing tomatoes, but you could buy plants.  Courgettes?  Winter squash? 

What does the family like to eat?  No good growing it if nobody likes it. 

If you have lots of things you like, go for what is unobtainable or expensive in the shops.  Many people I know don't grow potatoes because a 50 pound bag isn't expensive and they want to use the growing space for more exotic things.  Personally, I want things available year round, so grow summer and winter veg.

And if you are really ahead and the jobs are done, then just sit back with a drink of your choice and just enjoy the garden - you've earned it!  :wave: 

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 23:04:34 »
thanks all :)

No flowers as yet but have been out to inspect the greenhouse today and most things are poppign up and will need potting on soon.

Husband has promised to help me move a few things around greenhouse and i will be happier then and hes going to help me rearange a few of my fruit pots which are currently on my beds so there at a good height for me to pot up :) then i can do some direct sewing which will supliement whats in the greenhouse.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:03 »
Have a look through a book and see what you fancy eating.   
I like growing things I can nibble such as spinach and green leaves. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 14:34:24 »
Yes i have the beds planned out with 90% of the stuff we will use and 10% new things to try or stuff that we dont use a lot of. I just think that having gone from working to not working and i am finding that tougher than i expected. Really trying not to just go back to bed for the day and stick myself in front of the TV.

I am getting there and my seedlings are almost ready to pot up in maybe a week or so and then i can get the next lot started and in mean time next week will get first lot of seeds to be sewn in place.

Going to garden centre friday for a coffee and a chat with someone so that will help :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 08:38:45 »
Going back to bed it surely not a good idea.  Try and organise activities.  Find places to go, find people to talk to.  Find new activities that you can do and enjoy.

Perhaps set an alarm after a rest so you get up and do a planned activity.

Keep your brain active.  Pace yourself. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 22:15:06 »
Going back to bed it surely not a good idea.  Try and organise activities.  Find places to go, find people to talk to.  Find new activities that you can do and enjoy.

Perhaps set an alarm after a rest so you get up and do a planned activity.

Keep your brain active.  Pace yourself. 

Ah the drug cocktail i take sometimes mean i have no choice but to sleep as i feel "unplugged" .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal