Author Topic: Peas on wigwams.  (Read 2495 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Peas on wigwams.
« on: May 15, 2017, 20:28:39 »
IVe seen peas grown in big pots or planters grown up wigwams. I fancy trying this but cant get my head around spacine.

What spacing do you do with wigwams f spacing along a row is , for example, two inches....is it the same or do you plant less to stop cojestion further up the wigwam?

Also what dimension / litre of container do you recommend?

Many thanks
Jackie
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Peas on wigwams.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 21:34:55 »
im going to try this this year for some show peas at our allotment show going to put them in the same tubs as my potatoes once the earlies finish in around 3 weeks  time ill plant them out with wigwams
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 21:57:04 »
I'd still plant them 2ins apart. Bear in mind that peas are not very good at climbing up a pole as they don't twist round like beans do.

Either wrap some netting round the wigwam or tie some twine around every 8ins or so, that will give the tendrils something to cling on to. I'd use the biggest pots/tubs/buckets you have. In a smaller size you will find watering a problem. Good luck!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 22:09:29 »
Thanks both, thats great :) Johnny, whats the width at the top of those pots...they look BIG ;)
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 22:13:02 »
Thanks both, thats great :) Johnny, whats the width at the top of those pots...they look BIG ;)
they are around 2ft they take around 60ltrs of compost but as plot 18 said run twine around the canes i might do one tomorrow and take a pic hope this helps

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 22:26:47 »
Cikey...I dont have pots that big....have one or two planters...will measure after work.

I'vee woven a wigwam before, so happy doing that....I even wondere about making my own pea net each winter ;)
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 22:28:00 »
Cikey...I dont have pots that big....have one or two planters...will measure after work.

I'vee woven a wigwam before, so happy doing that....I even wondere about making my own pea net each winter ;)
i like to see that what would you make it out of

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 22:48:30 »
I was thinking garden twine, hemp or cheal real wool/ knitting wool

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJLAac86hg
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 22:51:43 »
I was thinking garden twine, hemp or cheal real wool/ knitting wool

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJLAac86hg

dont think i would make them out of anything that holds water it might rot the stems

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 23:42:48 »
It is something I have always wanted to try, but sadly the pigeons in my area will quickly destroy any peas not carefully netted. Be good to see a thread reporting back on how things went.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 07:53:18 »
Beersmith, im thinking of the net for the peas to climb BUT we havehigh amounts of pigeons and make barrier with dbris netting that drops down like a curtain...tie up for access...works well. Ill take a photo when home from work
Jackie

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:39:44 »
Good luck with the peas. I grow most of mine on wig-wams.
I start them off in 3" pots, about 8-12 seeds in each, and just plant the pots at the base of each cane... direct sowings tend to disappear to mice.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 19:37:41 »
Not hest pic...apologies we are still working on veg garden and putting in paths..so a bit messy....you can saa frames in background...we hang debris netting like a shower curtain and tie up.

Been great in combating pigeon and Rabbit eating crops. Good wind protection.
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 20:26:45 »
If using buckets has  anyone considered a support tube made of chicken mesh or something with a bigger wire gauge .

This can be stiffened/ supported with say four stakes pushed into the compost.

If my maths are correct 2ft diameter ( Johnny's dimensions)  = pI x 2 = which is a little over 6 ft of mesh say 75" so at 3" spacings you could space up to  25 peas around the circumference of the pot although I would suggest around half that say 12-15 peas.

I see this as being similar to my mesh fencing where I set this up as effectively two parallel rows with a U turn at the end.

Just thought it might be worth considering

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 21:06:11 »
If using buckets has  anyone considered a support tube made of chicken mesh or something with a bigger wire gauge .

This can be stiffened/ supported with say four stakes pushed into the compost.

If my maths are correct 2ft diameter ( Johnny's dimensions)  = pI x 2 = which is a little over 6 ft of mesh say 75" so at 3" spacings you could space up to  25 peas around the circumference of the pot although I would suggest around half that say 12-15 peas.

I see this as being similar to my mesh fencing where I set this up as effectively two parallel rows with a U turn at the end.

Just thought it might be worth considering

I think wigwams are aesthetically pleasing but your idea gives more growing space? Ill have a look at weekend as I think I have some chicken wire

Ps Apologies about my pic being upside down, no idea how...and my post should say " not the best pic"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 21:14:30 by Hector »
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal