Author Topic: Sage and Thyme - What's the best soil type?  (Read 1552 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Sage and Thyme - What's the best soil type?
« on: May 14, 2017, 14:57:53 »
I've never had much luck with these (I know everyone says "what could be easier") so I'm having a bash at container growing these on the allotment from cuttings .  But there seems to be different approaches on soil type (standard compost to compost + grit and/or sand) and feeding (once a fortnight, occasional, once a year). The only thing where there seems to be agreement is water only once the soil is dry and keep in sun.

Very grateful for some advice here.  Many thanks

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Sage and Thyme - What's the best soil type?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 15:25:59 »
I've got my thyme in soil with grit added for good drainage. Round the Med it grows wild in the poorest soil you could imagine with very little summer rainfall. If the pot looks very dry then water it, very occasionally adding a dilute liquid feed.

Sage I grow in 50/50 mix of multipurp and soil it seems to like a little more water and feed than the thyme does.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 17:28:18 »
here on the sunshine coast we  have very sandy soil and very little rainfall so  i grow them straight in the ground without no problems however as plot 18 suggested poor soil and extra drainage is the usual way forward
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:02:31 »
I grow mine in pots and have just repotted, trimming as I go. Some JI2, some jacks magic and sand and grit. Both are now standing on a sun trap patio

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 14:02:03 »
I used to grow thyme in the cracks of the paving, makes you hungry when you walk on it, Never used it for cooking though we have dogs. But it will thrive on neglect.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 17:24:18 »
Many thanks for the helpful advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal