Author Topic: alpines  (Read 1655 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
alpines
« on: May 13, 2017, 15:45:40 »
 just bought some succulents  for the garden from a car boot sale   ALPINES  ? How do I care for them   do they need to be put in a frost proof greenhouse over the winter   I told the woman I was planning on  planting in terracotta  pots so can bring them under cover during the cold months she said they were frost hardy   But being succulents are they  ?

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: alpines
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 16:43:41 »
That all depends on what they are. Sempervivums are succulents and they are as tough as old boots. Some Sedums are very hardy too. They just need well drained compost (like half grit,half JI no 2 mixed) and full sun.
Gardening is the great leveller.

John85

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 17:55:25 »
Indeed good drainage is essential.Some like sedum album,S.rupestre,S sediforme are happy in pure sand.
Delosperma can take some frost.D.cooperi is one of the strongest.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:50:16 »
I have many semperviviums, all in pots of all sizes. They are lovely and live through everything. I made the soil poor and free draining by adding lots of horticultural sand and grit and I put some grit on the top around the plants.

I have 4 large heavy wide pots, holding a cantilever umbrella in place, they are filled with pebbles but I have decided to put semperviviums in, taking half the pebbles out, putting a garden membrane in and then filling with the same mix. I have JI2, sand and grit, so I will use that. I love the plants and they are so easy care

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:50:09 »
Succulents is a rather vague description.  It is normally a reaction to lack of water so plant stores it.  Maybe greenhouse too wet. 

Alpines normally OK with cold very cold.  But they hate damp so not sure that the greenhouse is the right place.  Sometimes they are given little roofs over them to keep them dry. 

I used to be amazed to find plants flowering their little socks off high up mountains with the snow melting round them. By mid day they are putting up with heat, wind and strong sunshine only to be plunged back into the freezer at night. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal