Author Topic: Tips on Photography  (Read 3857 times)

michelle303

Tips on Photography
« on: May 11, 2017, 12:04:57 »
My Dad is a keen gardener which is where I got my green thumb from and, for Fathers Day I was thinking of taking a photo of his beautiful red hybrid tea rose and getting it printed in a Framed Print .

As I want this to look like some nice art on his wall I was hoping some of you on here might like to take artistic pictures of their plants and have some tips for me.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Tips on Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 12:56:52 »
Photograph a single bloom or cluster of blooms rather than the whole shrub.  Do it early in the day while the blooms are still fresh and be careful about what else is in focus that may spoil the shot.   Have a look here for more tips - https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/projects/photographing-flowers.htm and here - http://helpmefind.com/gardening/ezine.php?publicationID=930&js=0
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 13:47:39 »
Early morning wih rain drops.  If not rain create a little.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 16:57:34 »
id take a load different times after rain morning  evening all sorts then pick the one you like
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 18:19:46 »
 I have put some rose pictures here:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Rose/Roses.htm

If there are any here you would like a copy of I will look in my files for the original and send it on to you.

Given a choice what size of image will you want ?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 22:56:08 »
If your camera is sufficiently sophisticated, think about depth of field.

A photo taken at a very small aperture produces a picture where both the main subject matter will be in focus but so will the background. This may not be such a good thing if the background is not very attractive such as a wire fence, a wall or even the weeds on the next plot.  At an aperture like f2.8 or f4 the background will tend to blur out a little. This takes attention away  from the background and onto the main subject. Depending on the ambient light levels this could mean tending towards a very high shutter speed and wide aperture.

But if your camera is digital, and you are unsure compensate by taking loads and loads, then just discard until you are left with a total gem.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 08:21:22 »
Attention to framing and bearing in mind the rule of thirds can help a photo along!  It is a bit of an old cliche but the rule of thirds can work really well in nature pictures.
Also time of day - evening and morning with the sun at a low angle produces a much different result from midday (or midnight!) - other wise know as the Golden Hour.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

michelle303

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:52:16 »
Thank you all for you great responses. I'm borrowing my friends DSLR and going to play around with the aperture and the framing. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal