Author Topic: No Manure at Bee & Que  (Read 3199 times)

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
No Manure at Bee & Que
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:39:56 »
Well I dunno, I've visited my nearest 2 Bee & Que's in this last week to find they no longer sell Manure........ Farmyard blend or Horse.
And the staff don't know why when asked. The official answer was "I dunno".

Is there a shortage..?

Looks like I will have an out the way pop in to Omebase before the weekend. I'm after some Manure for my Courgettes & other Cucurbits.

Or is there something else going on..? I've recently seen lots of pictures on the internet of deformed tomato plants and other crops that people have got growing.... wondering if the Weed killer in the Compost & Manure problem is resurfacing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: No Manure at Bee & Que
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:44:05 »
Still being advertised - perhaps locally they sold out, as it has been on offer?

http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-horse-manure-50l/109476_BQ.prd

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 19:08:24 »
Plenty at Wickes, both Gro sure and own brand at my local outlet.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 06:27:30 »
You need to get closer to the horse! Its not The Head office that delivers.....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:06:56 »
Buying manure!  Don't people give it away?  If you are worried that it could be contaminated use 6X  instead, expensive, but if you buy manure money's no object.  Sterilised, clean, odourless and a few handfuls does everything and more that a barrow load of dung can do.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:51:39 »
There are places around Swindon where people dump it and others can help themselves.
I am lucky large pile on site.  Very few people use it.  I am still vary of weed killer contamination.  I keep it well away from direct contact to roots. 

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:42:59 »
Still being advertised - perhaps locally they sold out, as it has been on offer?

http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-horse-manure-50l/109476_BQ.prd
I know, that why I went to the second shop.
The advertising is still up in store, but other composts are in its place. The staff acknowledged they've stopped selling it.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:44:09 »
Buying manure!  Don't people give it away?  If you are worried that it could be contaminated use 6X  instead, expensive, but if you buy manure money's no object.  Sterilised, clean, odourless and a few handfuls does everything and more that a barrow load of dung can do.
Think I'll look into that, but it was the bulky nature of the poo that's useful as well, my ground cracks up severely in hot weather.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 06:46:11 »

I know *Embarrassed face*.... but we are bereft of animals in this area, the only place with horses sells horse poo at 50p a bag. And a bag consists of about a shovel full.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 09:44:03 »
I guess we are pretty lucky round here as we have several places that give it away for free and we are in deepest SE London - mostly stables or city farms but there is enough round here for everyone.  I do have to take a drive for some of it but I haven't paid for manure in years - the places literally cannot give it away fast enough.  Have you tired gumtree - I have found some on there in the past..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 19:10:16 »

I know *Embarrassed face*.... but we are bereft of animals in this area, the only place with horses sells horse poo at 50p a bag. And a bag consists of about a shovel full.

Try asking friends/neighbours/schools to source soiled small pet bedding from rabbits/guinea pigs/hampsters. Give them free strong (old compost )bags with shredded office paper waste if you have a source. Shredded bank documents and legal stuff is high quality. Start a collection service. Poultry keepers, pigeon lofts? Excellent compost activator, should get rid of seeds, etc. You probably should have a licence, but what the heck. Its something to work at during the winter months!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 21:39:50 »
Wilkos poultry manure is not far off the 6x just a wee bit less nitrogen and potassium but only £5 for 7kg
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:39:52 »
What is 6X? apart from beer of course ;)
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 12:14:41 »
6X - A natural fibrous plant fertilizer
• Made from traditional chicken manure
https://www.amazon.co.uk/6X-15-Natural-Fibrous-Fertilizer-x/dp/B00CRZQ4P6

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 14:13:58 »
What is 6X? apart from beer of course ;)

why buy cheapo when 6x is the same or even cheaper from places like Mole Valley when they have it on offer just stock up it don't go off. I have used it for the first time this year with fantastic results. It does improve the clay as it does not go away when the goodness has gone from it. The bloke next door grows for showing, far to large veg for me but that is all he uses and his soil is really nice. Compared to mine which is still in the process of being lightened.

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 10:13:40 »
I use Jacks Magic, from my local garden centre, three bags for £15, add some coarse sand if you need extra drainage. :toothy10: :coffee2:

Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal