Author Topic: Replacing blueberries  (Read 2040 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Replacing blueberries
« on: January 09, 2018, 17:24:33 »
I have some blueberry plants in pots which are about 9 years old and not producing much fruit.
Can I just pull them out and put new ones in (i.e not replace the ericaceus compost)?

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
Re: Replacing blueberries
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 18:53:09 »
I would use mostly new compost as they are old plants and probably need re invigorating

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 20:47:40 »
I knew nothing about blueberries, but we have Google!:
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/revitalize_blueberries_with_renovation
Good luck, please report.
Oh, yes, add new nutrient at least....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:47:27 »
Interesting thread thanks for posting.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:17:44 »
I personally would say new plants new compost. 

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:41:29 »
Hi Ya, You say your blueberries are not producing fruit. I wonder how big the pots are they are in? it is said they need a minimum 18" pot and bigger if possible, mine are 27 litre pots. Also do you add a layer of fresh compost each season and a handful of acid granules ie: Azalea feed, I was also advised to feed once a month in water a liquid feed. I keep mine, as they are acid lovers, in pots in a gravel tray and always plenty of water as they love moisture. I would be tempted to pot them on now while dormant into a bigger pot with fresh acid compost and see how you go. You probably know this already so apologies for teaching you suck eggs but my mentor gave me this advice and he had been growing them for several years. He also said about having different varieties to help with pollination as they benefit from that as well so maybe try introducing a few different ones. Good luck with the project and I hope this will be of some help to some one. 

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 12:34:41 »
Thanks all, I did repot one last year and it had very little fruit.  To be honest they were practically dead :(
I have never changed the compost but will do with them or with their replacements in future.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 13:21:56 »
dont forget to cut the compost 50/50 with sharp sand ericasus compost can get claggy blueberries hate it so the sand helps really works for me
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 14:35:15 »
Thanks for that would gravel work as well?  I thought they liked being waterlogged.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal