Author Topic: Testing automatic window openers  (Read 2751 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Testing automatic window openers
« on: May 06, 2017, 22:49:20 »
I've inherited a couple of these (Jemp vents, as discussed on here a mere ten years ago, if you use the search function...) - but am not sure how to test them to see whether they still work. I've left them on a radiator and they haven't moved so I fear they are bu**ered, but would like to be sure that they are beyond  redemption first.

Any bright ideas?

Adrian
 :sign19: (no reason other than I am amused by a forum that has a purple sperm as a smiley)
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Testing automatic window openers
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 00:04:39 »
You are supposed to take them off before frost etc.  Well I never have.  I have 3 and have only every replaced one in the last 20 years.  There is a screw at the base that you can turn which makes them open more or less.  But it may be a bit rusted on.  If nothing happens, try adjusting them with the screw, nothing to lose.   :wave:

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 08:39:52 »
I've inherited a couple of these (Jemp vents, as discussed on here a mere ten years ago, if you use the search function...) - but am not sure how to test them to see whether they still work. I've left them on a radiator and they haven't moved so I fear they are bu**ered, but would like to be sure that they are beyond  redemption first.

Any bright ideas?

Adrian
 :sign19: (no reason other than I am amused by a forum that has a purple sperm as a smiley)

The automatic openers work by a wax cylinder expanding in heat and contracting in cold.

You could try placing the opener, or just the cylinder in the deep freeze for a while, suggest in a bag first, then screwing in the adjuster at the end of the cylinder in as far as it will go..... that's the closed setting....

Then placing somewhere warm, the wax should resist at the screw and open the opener....

If there is no movement then it's caput... and to be fair 10 years is a long time for an opener, mine died at 3 years, where as my dads still works after 9 years.

If you do by new, just make sure it's strong enough to open your weight of window... wood & toughens glass tend to be heavier.

And prices vary quite a bit across the internet.

Happy venting.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:38:16 »
A tip for using weak old actuators - if they have a reasonable 'throw' and more than half the strength then put a counterweight arm on the window.

However this will mean it shuts less positively - it's OK if it's a sheltered spot, but if it's windy the vent will bang like the proverbial S******e door.

Or use a matched pair of old actuators.

Unfortunately there's more to it - some actuator models resist pulling open quite well, others don't, and even if they do this can be one of the first things that fail with age.

If wind isn't your problem then OK, just don't overdo it, and a longer lighter arm is best if you have the space, because there will be some air damping to stop it waving about. Or you can always improve the air damping with a vane.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 22:42:13 »
Sadly they seem to be kaput - ah well, they didn't cost me more than a few minutes labour with a screwdriver...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 20:22:38 »
Every morning and evening I rush out to open and close the greenhouse windows . I would love to have those wonderful self opening windows but fear my greenhouse would collapse as they were being fitted !  :drunken_smilie:
Trespassers will be composted !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal