Author Topic: Loganberry or tayberry  (Read 6083 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Loganberry or tayberry
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 09:56:29 »
Those thornless tayberries seedlings do they have a thornless one as motherplant?

As it happens my Tayberry seedlings mostly appear in pots with perennials in - maybe they like the better drained, more stable conditions in large pots, but the truth is they would be weeded out too quickly anywhere else.

Unfortunately these pots are about halfway between the thornless and the thorny so it's impossible to say which is the mother, and I don't have time for a breeding programme anyway.

I rip out the thorny ones as soon as I see them, the thornless ones go too if they are somewhere inconvenient - I'd say the thornless ones are a minority - 10% maybe? I did move a couple into their own pots, but I haven't seen them since last year when they were about 20cm tall - they may have died of neglect in this dry spring. Too many distractions...

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal