Author Topic: Rhubarb gin ... a spring alternative to sloe gin  (Read 7012 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Rhubarb gin ... a spring alternative to sloe gin
« on: May 04, 2017, 09:06:51 »
Hi everyone,

If, like me, you're suffering from a glut of rhubarb, then you might like to try this recipe as there isn't very much going on in the drinks-making department normally this time of year.  Well I say recipe, but it's basically making sloe gin and replacing the sloes with rhubarb stem chopped up.  The rhubarb does an admirable job of adding the same tartness and fruitiness that sloes do - and just like the sloe gin, this needs quite a bit of sugar to take the edge off!

If you choose the reddest stems you have, or use a very red variety then the drink will end up a beautiful shade of pink.

I tend to fill a jar ¾ with rhubarb and top up with gin, infuse for 2-3 weeks and then strain, only adding sugar at the end to taste so as to avoid accidentally making it sweeter than we like.  Give it a go.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Rhubarb gin ... a spring alternative to sloe gin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:38:18 »
In our Belgian garden we had a dozen very mature and prolific rhubarb plants.  Could have done with this idea last year!!

I've recently bought 3 babies to plant here and potted them up to grow abit more before planting out in their new home.  It'll be a while before we get a glut but I shall keep this idea in mind - a change from the usual rhubarb chutney I do with gluts.  Thanks.  I've also seen a rhubarb syrup being sold for making soft drinks and pouring on ice cream but have yet to try making it myself.   
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 15:03:34 »
I've been making Rhubarb Vodka for years and gave gin a go last year.  It seemed to lack the flavour that the vodka has but it may have been late season rhubarb so I will give it another go this year.  Damson gin is great but blackcurrant vodka is my all time favourite.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 15:53:16 »
I have some damson gin on the go from our last crop in Belgium as well as blackcurrant vodkas and gin and brandy - way to use up the glut given we have jams and jellies in abundance and couldn't bring frozen food.   Now I need to build up a collection of suitable bottles so it's all still "maturing" in big jars.
Obxx - Vendée France

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 16:35:25 »
My rhubarb vodka. It's nice and tart as I didn't add too much sugar (thanks squeezyjohn)

Just started on some raspberry vodka with the raspberries from my garden. For some reason, they just fall apart when I pick them, previous years they've been fine. The ones on the allotment pick nicely so they are for eating  :tongue3:
Located in Royston, North Herts.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 13:28:21 »
Just sampled some raspberry gin I made a month ago.  Absolutely gorgeous - I now have to leave it alone for a few months to improve but also wish I had done more as my rasps are all done..

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 14:01:41 »
Jack Fultons are doing good quality frozen rasberries for 99p

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:52:43 »
Good idea.  We have several good clumps of rhubarb and I think I'll start with some vodka.  I also make a dozen bottles of sparkling rhubarb wine when the crop is good.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 14:00:35 »
I'd be interested in a sparkling rhubarb wine recipe if you dont mind sharing?

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 16:16:53 »
I'd be interested in a sparkling rhubarb wine recipe if you dont mind sharing?

I use what is basically my mother's recipe and she had it from her grandmother.  I am approaching 70 now so that will tell you how old the recipe is.  All the usual precautions about sterile equipment etc apply.  2.5 lbs chopped rhubarb, 2.5 lbs sugar, 6 to 8 tablespoons of white wine vinegar (my modern variation on my mothers lemon juice), a chopped lemon, wine yeast and water to make up the volume to a gallon.  I use a bucket for the first stage.  The chopped rhubarb and chopped lemon goes into the bucket and boiled water is added to cover the rhubarb.  I leave it covered for up to five days, mashing and stirring the mixture daily.  I then strain off the pulp and put the liquid into a demijohn, adding the sugar, vinegar, and topping-up with boiled water.  Fit an airlock and ferment until almost finished.  I then add a small amount of sugar to each of six champagne bottles and siphon the wine into them.  I don't open any for at least six months.  I've had one or two failures over the years but it usually gives me a drinkable light rose sparkling wine

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 15:52:39 »
I bought some rhubarb gin at a Christmas market. Had a small sample and it was excellent. My daughter coming for New Year to help me drink it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal