Author Topic: Planting out  (Read 2409 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Planting out
« on: May 03, 2017, 13:55:07 »
I know runner beans and sweetcorn are tender, and can't be planted out until the end of May.

But what about Brussels, Rainbow Chard, and Kalettes? I have some plants which are so big they look like they want to be planted out, is it safe? It's so hard to find information about when to put out plants.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Planting out
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 13:59:38 »
 if you live down south or east like me put them in they will be fine  no prob
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 14:38:17 »
Annie, They should all be fine outside, if they've been grown indoors then they'll need a few days to harden off first.
Depending on your site, you might need to protect from wind over the next week, but frost looks less likely.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 15:54:54 »
I've had my cabbage family stuff and chard out for a while now ... if it gets very cold like last week then they sulk for a couple of days, but the temperatures aren't really the enemy for hardier stuff like brassicas, lettuces and onions at the moment ... the enemy at this time of year are slugs, snails, rabbits, mice and pigeons!  Things might need protecting from them that are put out now depending on your local vermin!

I find that the extra light they get and extra time they have to get their roots established far outweighs any short-term sulking they might do.  Get them all in the ground.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 16:19:55 »
I have planned to plant my Brassicas tomorrow, got the onions and leeks in yesterday and Tomatoes today.

This is about two weeks earlier than normal for me.

I have decided to listen to the " global warming" experts who say:

Milder Winters (Which we have had) ........Wetter summer (Which I am expecting) This drought must end sometime we have had our forty days and forty nights....and some!

Nobody I have seen as yet has predicted" Lots of Sunshine" so I will have to cross my fingers on that one.

As I recall last year I had lots of problems with stuff ripening so I guess we are in for: cloudier and wetter summers ....hope I am wrong!  :sunny:  :glasses9:  :wave:

I am getting to thinking that I will have to scrap my diaries as they do not fit in with the 'experts' predictions, then there is the dodgy compost!!!!!!!........

Gardening is not what it used to be and at my age I am thinking that I don't want to go on another " learning curve" its taken me around forty years to learn this one, and I don't think I will have the time to go on another! :angel11:

AnnieD

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 16:54:53 »
Thanks all  :happy7:

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:14:59 »
I put courgettes out last week, after the long awaited rain. The ground was warm and moist, so it is perfect for the roots to grow down. I have covered each plant with a mesh cage, to keep the wind off for now. The cabbages are doing nicely out. The bean windbreak is in position and I`ll be putting the runner beans in as soon as the forecast show warmer, maybe this week. Its all about intuition really, what feel right

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 07:45:25 »
Tee Gee, some of the weather forecasters who blog, are remarking on the likeness of this year's weather to 1976. Which was the
big HEATWAVE year, so don't give up on warm summers quite yet  :glasses9: Mind you that would still be a big problem if the water got rationed again.  :tongue1:

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 07:09:22 »
I think I will put my runner beans out this weekend. The wind has reduced and I have a windbreak up and ready. No rain forecast for weeks, private weather data. so I want to take advantage of the presently moist soil. It is covered so is moist underneath.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 11:47:02 »
I think I will put my runner beans out this weekend. The wind has reduced and I have a windbreak up and ready. No rain forecast for weeks, private weather data. so I want to take advantage of the presently moist soil. It is covered so is moist underneath.

Is that plants you are putting out? Where are you? Will you protect them ?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 13:26:11 »
Someone on our allotment site has put out 3 pretty mature looking courgette plants last week with no protection whatsoever!

Frankly I think they're a bit mad given the way the weather has been, but you never know ... if they do survive and pick up then they'll have courgettes much earlier than me, I've just sown my seeds in pots in the greenhouse!

It's always a gamble, but sometimes it pays off.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 14:06:08 »
Yes, I have courgette plants about a week old in my mini growhouse.

When we went to our plot yesterday, the man next door had set out 6 tomato plants in the ground. I thought this was a bit foolish.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 16:00:46 »
planted out my new to me greenhouse this morning 31 chilli plants loads of different varieties  hot stuff eh

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 16:29:15 »
Had to plant out some of my toms today, rest will go into allotment on Monday.
I'm finally off on my long promised trip to Canada and they won't last till I get back.
Forecast looks fairly mild for rest of May, so fingers crossed!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 16:34:09 »
AnnieD, somerset, yes well hardened runner bean plants out today, soil is moist and I have put the black fabric back on much of the area to act as mulch. They are well protected by my wind break. Courgettes have been out for a few days now and are looking fine but are also well protected from wind for now, under mesh cages. These I planted through black fabric as I am expecting very dry soil this year

My tomatoes have been out for two weeks on a full time basis, just filling their new pots then next move is permanent transplant to buckets with rings, they will be at home as I can take more care of them

just to add that slug nematodes are at work in all my veg beds, even my cabbages still look pristine
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 16:36:55 by strawberry1 »

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 20:54:20 »
Despite lots of well meaning advice, setting out tender plants at this time of year is not an exact science. An unexpected cold snap or a late frost can kill or damage your tender plants. Below average temperatures means some delicate types just sulk and grow very slowly or not at all.  Keeping a close eye on the weather forecast and knowing your own plot conditions helps as will fleeces and other covers but there is always an element of risk.

Early May the risk is higher, late May or June much lower. I think it just reflects that different people are risk averse to different degrees. It isn't wrong to get stuff out early and hope for mild weather. It isn't wrong to be a bit cautious and wait until frost free conditions are almost certain.

Me? I'm a middle of the road type - mid May for almost everything - unless the forecast is very bad.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 21:32:37 »
Hedge your bets.
Courgettes, planted 6 seeds early, 4 plants now out. 2nd planting of 10 seeds, 8 plants. 4 into litre pots (cold frame), 4 in 4" pots getting pot bound in greenhouse as reserves. Dont need 14 so if all survive, son-in law gets some.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 18:07:20 »
The wind break for the runners did the trick and so did the rain, they look strong and healthy and I noticed just now that almost everyone has planted their runners. I took the individual cages off the courgettes and they too look strong. I do think the black fabric helped as did the slug nematodes but yes, it has paid off this year

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 18:22:40 »
think i might have a little feel around the old spuds this weekend

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal