Author Topic: A university project  (Read 2257 times)

CapedCapybara

A university project
« on: May 02, 2017, 21:14:35 »
Hi there,
I am a university student studying computer science, as part of one of my modules I have to design a solution to a problem we have identified in society. I have chosen to design a solution to the want of more allotments, and trying to make gardening and applying for/owning an allotment better.

My proposal is an app with 3 main features. 1 - you can apply for an allotment in your area on the app, trying to make it more accessible to apply by having it on multiple platforms. 2 - A section where users can take photos of abandoned or unused bits of land the users think will make good allotments and submit them for review to the council. And 3 - a mobile friendly forum, like this one, so users can share their interest with others like themselves.

As part of my initial research I have written a survey, I'm hoping it's ok to post it here, it'll be good to get some responses from people with experience in this area!

https://goo.gl/forms/iRDiJK9wtPSb2X6E3

Thank you.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: A university project
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 21:47:28 »
If your project includes a survey, you will need to explain what part of the population you are targeting and why.

If you hope to research a representative cross section of the public you will need a random sample rather than just inviting anyone who is interested. If you are truly attempting a survey you will need a sampling frame, a sampling process, and a strategy for non response. But If of you want to speak to people with expertise or an interest in a specific topic, you are really running a consultation exercise so it might be better not to call it a survey.

Consultations are a perfectly valid research methodology, but they do not usually provide robust quantitative results.  Rather they provide good qualitative materials. Doing well in this project is probably more about demonstrating your methodological skills than the actual findings.

Hope it goes well!

Not mad, just out to mulch!

CapedCapybara

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 22:00:53 »
If your project includes a survey, you will need to explain what part of the population you are targeting and why.

If you hope to research a representative cross section of the public you will need a random sample rather than just inviting anyone who is interested. If you are truly attempting a survey you will need a sampling frame, a sampling process, and a strategy for non response. But If of you want to speak to people with expertise or an interest in a specific topic, you are really running a consultation exercise so it might be better not to call it a survey.

Consultations are a perfectly valid research methodology, but they do not usually provide robust quantitative results.  Rather they provide good qualitative materials. Doing well in this project is probably more about demonstrating your methodological skills than the actual findings.

Hope it goes well!

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback, I have posted elsewhere however up until now the majority of responses had been from people who do not own allotments so I posted here to try and get responses from some people who do. I have a document to write which includes both scoping and design methods. This surveys is just one part of that document. I will also be doing focus groups and writing things like story boards for the design of my app too. My survey is really just for some general views and then I can get some more specifics depending on the results. :)

picman

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:32:53 »
There is no incentive for councils to provide more allotments, they cost them money, mainly because of poor management, indeed our council now contracts out the administration to a private firm that cost them even more in charges ,and that cost the tenants have to shoulder . A site near by has room for 50 additional plots ,( overgrown due to a   failed road improvements plan ) but the council wont spend the £2000 to make them usable... of the 16 sites all are operated differently , some by associations, some by one person ! some by council. the councils get charged stupid amounts for maintenance, like £110 to turn the water off / on during the winter , the spend £££ on consultants , only a few sites have a toilet , that the associations paid for and put in ... You want more ? 

CapedCapybara

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:01:26 »
There is no incentive for councils to provide more allotments, they cost them money, mainly because of poor management, indeed our council now contracts out the administration to a private firm that cost them even more in charges ,and that cost the tenants have to shoulder . A site near by has room for 50 additional plots ,( overgrown due to a   failed road improvements plan ) but the council wont spend the £2000 to make them usable... of the 16 sites all are operated differently , some by associations, some by one person ! some by council. the councils get charged stupid amounts for maintenance, like £110 to turn the water off / on during the winter , the spend £££ on consultants , only a few sites have a toilet , that the associations paid for and put in ... You want more ?

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I realise in practice this is not really a feasible project, however our projects are just for DESIGNING a solution to an issue. It's about knowing the design process of creating a new product, i.e scoping work, hence the survey, and finalising design and submitting a proposal at the end. We don't have to have a 100% feasible project or I would not have chosen this. :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 16:30:29 »
Yes I realise in practice this is not really a feasible project, however our projects are just for DESIGNING a solution to an issue. It's about knowing the design process of creating a new product, i.e scoping work, hence the survey, and finalising design and submitting a proposal at the end. We don't have to have a 100% feasible project or I would not have chosen this.

So its a case of " Digging In" "Sowing the germ of an idea" " Weeding out the unwanted" and "harvesting the best bits"just like I have been doing for the last forty years. :BangHead:

Like you I am still looking for answers.  :coffee2:

I wish you the best of luck! :icon_cheers:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 17:29:59 »
I've completed the survery- were there really only 3 questions?

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 22:08:46 »
I only had 3 questions so maybe this a start.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

CapedCapybara

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 11:07:11 »
Hi guys,

Depending on the answers you give, you get taken to different further questions. If most of your answers are 'no' you will only answer a couple. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal