Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2017  (Read 43294 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2017
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2017, 17:43:27 »
I'm in, but my offering might be slightly less than planned.  I'll post photos later

I've two tomatoes:  Silvery Fir Tree - Abundant, succulent, early beefsteak was inundated from early July.  Yellow brandywine (Sudduth strain) - I know it's quite common, but it was my favourite tomato this year.

(Also saved Sasha's Altai, but not impressed as it wasn't early at all - very intense, again prolific, salad type, but I didn't need all that by then.  I can put it in if anyone's interested, but I can't recommend on account of being late for an 'early').

Lettuce:  Australian Yellow - loose leaf.  Did outstandingly through the heatwave and quite a beauty.

A novelty:  Beet berry.  Maybe not great for eating, but a bit of visual, edible fun.  I need to check out the insect status though - last time I looked there a number of small flies, but maybe I can shake them off.  Not actually stripped the seeds off stems yet.

I did have two beans to put in, but need to check they aren't infected with the bean weevil.  Is there any early way to tell?  I had one pod that ripened early and I put it upstairs where it's warmer and it hatched with them, but all of the others look fine. ??

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2017, 18:08:22 »
Hi Earlypea, this sounds a lovely selection for the circle.  With beans, the easiest way is to put them into a jar with tight fitting lid - kilner jar etc and stick them into the freezer for two days.  Nothing will crawl out subsequently after that.  You need to make sure the bean seeds are really dry before packing them into the airtight jars.  This way germination will not be affected by the spell in the cold.

Well what is an early tomato in some places is late elsewhere.  Often dtm numbers, days to  maturity, are copied from US websites and just don't apply to UK.  The earliest tomatoes are 55-60 dtm, but in UK that often means 90 days to maturity.  They count the start of dtm as the planting out date.  A second reason why dtm varies so much is that some tomatoes do quite well in cooler weather and progress nicely, whereas others really appreciate a hotter summer and sulk throughout if they don't get that. 

:wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2017, 19:21:52 »
My contribution is
Xenia field a lovely pencil thin dwarf french bean which is very prolific., HSL.
Gigandes butter type bean originally from Chris X
Painted lady pretty runner bean.
Also depending on numbers I have some Jack Edwards climbing french and Giant Stringless dwarf beans but it might be one or the other.
I thought I had some tomatoes too but  :dontknow: where they are !

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2017, 09:10:36 »
So many great offers this year  :icon_cheers:  As I did get another season in this garden, I can, if I may, participate too this year.

I have a Climbing French bean to offer, seeds were also from Chris Cross, called Mennonite Stripe.  This is a huge and very fat podded bean, one of the largest around.  I prefer them as green beans, but CC uses them for shelling.  And after many years of trying, I finally got a melon to work in the greenhouse, Petit Gris de Rennes, and I have taken seeds.   Depending on numbers of participants, I could also add a small tuber of one of the potato varieties that Jayb has bred - a cross between Kifli and Ratte #1.  If Jayb does not object (she has not named this new variety), the name 'Rafli' springs to mind.  This potato has been very resistant to blight into late October, but it does benefit from a long growing season for a big crop of small to medium sized salad potatoes.  (Yummy Christmas potato salad).  I also grew a plum tomato variety, still from the magic, huge seed swap parcel of Jayb's and Jeannine's which has not yet been shared here.  A bright sunshine orange paste tomato with few seeds,  not plum shaped as such but almost round, called Roughwood Golden Plum.  This has been bred by William Woys Weaver and is a cross between Yellow Brandywine and San Marzano.   https://store.tomatofest.com/Roughwood_Golden_Plum_p/tf-0431.htm   

Have to see what else I can find.  I certainly have enough seeds for Shark's Fin Melon aka Fig Leaf Pumpkin and also a mild chili Trepadeira Werner.  Both are seed circle repeats but will gladly add, if there is interest.    :wave:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:18:31 by galina »

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2017, 12:26:45 »
Hi everybody,i havenot posted much this year but i have been on the side often to keep updated what was going on.I have several beanvarieties for seed saving circle,some nice peppers and tomatoes,so i only have to hear that it is on.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2017, 13:51:46 »
Cracked open a Flat White Boer squash today. Disappointingly it only had seventeen viable seeds, the rest were empty. Not enough to share!

It値l take us ages to eat a 5kg squash so I don稚 really want to cut the other one (6.5kg) just yet. It値l probably have a similar number of good seeds as the first one, right?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2018, 23:45:06 »
. It値l probably have a similar number of good seeds as the first one, right?

Not necessarily.  The number of seeds can be very variable. 

I share your frustration.  Happens to me time and again.  So often there are very few in handpollinated squash.  Often it is just a bit too cool for the pollen to be really fertile.  Bee pollinated squash flowers get many more visits during the day than a once only hand pollinated one.  And if that was at borderline temperatures, low seed count results.   :BangHead:

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2018, 14:19:26 »
Just wanted to check that this was still happening... sorry if i've missed something obvious, this is my first year.

I'm in the process of packaging up my saved seeds for various seed swap events coming up soon, and a few seed circles im in.

I just wanted to know if i'm still saving seed seed for this swap.

Thanks in advance.  :happy7:
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2018, 09:15:19 »
I'm still up for this! And I'm happy to take over the organisation if Jayb isn't able to or doesn't want to do it this year.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2018, 08:09:52 »
That's very kind of you, silverleaf.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2018, 16:17:13 »
Soooooo, it looks not then.

I知 hoping to get to Kenilworth Seedswap tomorrow.

I値l see what I have left after that.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2018, 15:02:10 »
Okay Seacarrot, I'll see what I can do. Don't want to miss out on the swap! Look out for a message from me later today explaining where to send seeds, etc.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2018, 16:51:15 »
I tried to message everyone but for some reason it didn't work. So I'll try here instead.

Is everyone okay with me taking over organisation? I don't want to step on any toes, but as I'm not that busy at the moment I thought it would save someone else doing it.

If so, can we confirm who's still taking part? I have 16 people so far on the list which means 15 packets of each type of seed, but it would be good to have up-to-date numbers.

punpkinlover
markfield rover
penedeseca
sparrow
hector
silverleaf CONFIRMED
plot 18
elfeda
seacarrot
jayb
ruud
sunloving
martinburo
earlypea
robert brenchley
galina

Shall I contact people who have confirmed later in the week?

pumkinlover

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2018, 17:18:53 »
I have some ready.
Thanks for offering to run the swop. :wave:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2018, 18:44:30 »
Yes, thanks for taking over the job!
I've got seeds to send :)

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2018, 18:56:10 »
I知 in.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2018, 05:34:47 »
Yep, I am in.  :toothy10:

Giant Bolivian Achocha (jagged type seeds)
Allium Canadense (?sp)
Welsh Onion
Tom - Fox Cherry

All ready to go.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2018, 07:43:28 »
Thank you very much Silverleaf.  I'm in.  :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2018, 08:20:11 »
Thank you   silverleaf, I will also post a list of my beans soon.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2018, 15:58:02 »
count me in i have enough to share beans,tomatoes,peppers.etc.If you want a list i will send a list otherwise it would be a big surprise.
 :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal