Author Topic: Beans and Herbs  (Read 1843 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Beans and Herbs
« on: January 02, 2019, 18:53:53 »
I have just ordered a load of seeds from Beans and Herbs, lots of nice stuff on their site, not many beans to a packet I expect but loads of varieties. Has anybody else used their site.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Beans and Herbs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 20:28:51 »
Not used them-Yet!
https://www.beansandherbs.co.uk/
 Seems another organic alternative, another good reason to avoid T&M, Sutts etc.
Please report back ACE, as although pretty much stocked for this season, there are things of interest to me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 20:52:10 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 20:56:06 »
Yes, excellent :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 17:03:24 »
Less than 24 hours delivery, approx. 30 bean seeds per pack for the heritage varieties and 50 per pack of the more common. All packed last oct. Once you have ordered you cannot order that variety again, they advise growing a few plants for seed saving. Results should be good as they look like nice healthy seeds.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 19:31:14 »
Thanks Ace, some interesting seeds there.... :)

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 11:34:26 »
I ordered a tin of heinz beans from Tesco - delivery in 2 hours - fantastic - had them on fermented organic sheeps wool toast.  I looked for the recommended heritage variety baked beans online, but found that they were only available from a remote monastery on the foothills of the Himalayas, for collection only.  I will stick with heinz beans.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 15:19:16 »
they advise growing a few plants for seed saving. Results should be good as they look like nice healthy seeds.

Not "they", just one lady, Pippa Rosen.  Long before she had the shop, she was the one who got me started growing beans which still fascinate me every time.  The seeds from her just grew and grew well.  Glad you liked what you got, Ace.  Germination should be near 100% too.  Pippa evaluates all new varieties she gets and not many make her catalogue, only the ones that do best.  :wave: 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 16:02:14 »
only the ones that do best

Glad to hear it! A lass after my own heart!

All the top growers I know never eat their best crops/exhibits and I followed suit on the occasions I have saved seeds or taken cuttings.

At first when I read this thread I thought that A4A  had entered the pantomime season with their rendition of Jack and the Beanstalk. :icon_cheers:

Oh No it hasn't! :toothy1: :smileinbox:

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 08:57:21 »
Yes !  I have just discovered "beans and herbs"and am trying Ryder's Top o'the Pole  and St Anthony Climbing French Beans and Cocozelle vin Tripolis courgette and good old  Scarlet Emperor Runnerbeans ....not sure how many seeds in the packet but feels like a generous lot to me .
 I also discovered Garden Gear for some rare/unusual beans that I was searching for .
I  also very highly rate www.realseeds.co.uk  Nicky's Nursery and Premier Seeds Direct .
Trespassers will be composted !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal