Author Topic: Growing tip of pea damaged  (Read 1570 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Growing tip of pea damaged
« on: April 30, 2017, 15:13:18 »
Fell over in garden today carribg peas for planting out....Ive decapatated a few....is that them beyond redemption :(

Buying new shoes....rubber spit....
Jackie

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Growing tip of pea damaged
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 15:48:46 »
No, sideshoots will take over, should be fine.  Not sure what to suggest for the shoes though  :tongue3:

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 15:55:10 »
John has just duct taped me in :)
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 16:12:21 »
If you pinch out the growing shoot of sweet peas you get a better stronger plant.  Also mine get nibbled by various: rabbits, deer, ducks, pigeons and they seem to survive ok.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 16:37:27 »
As long as they have a leaf or 2 still attached they will recover. If they are completely leafless I don't think they will, as they will have lost all their growing points :(

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 18:53:56 »
 I've mice eating mine  first year ever they were planted in the ground direct so planted more  in pots now to fill up gaps

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 21:06:21 »
Hmm...break is below the leaves :(  ill pot up and warch them....all the others are planted out and debris netting around as a rabbit and wind barrier :)
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 05:41:48 »
Broad beans and runner beans will often produce a new shoot from the bean, but I do not think that happens with peas. 

I think it may be time to sow some more.  And get yourself a good pair of gardening shoes.  We all ought to be wearing safety shoes while gardening.  And they are free of VAT!!! 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:22:36 »
Hmm...break is below the leaves :(  ill pot up and warch them....all the others are planted out and debris netting around as a rabbit and wind barrier :)

Decapitated or break is below leaves?  Without a photo I gave the sideshoots advice based on mere 'decapitated'.  If you only have stumps left, then there is nothing that sideshoots could grow out of and yes, in that case, sow again Hector.

:wave:

PS: Hope it was just a trip and no injury to you during fall.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 11:51:25 »
Its me being ambiguous...mix of both...some now a stalk...some have one leaf or more. On a positive it was the Golden Sweet mainly and have extra. Lost one Lei :(

Hit pole of polytunnel hard with lower ribs...will see how I am tomorrow but lower back on lhs feeling a bit out of sorts.

Have ordered new version of same shoe as they have been marvellouts for ten years plus....seems they are trendy now (Le Chameau) gardening shoe...Digeroo...they charged me VAT!

They are expensive but really comfy and great in our muddy paradise/ digging
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:53:20 by Hector »
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:37:05 »
If you paid vat then they are not safety shoes.  Steel toe caps protect you from spade or fork.  Used to work with a guy who had lost several toes to a spade.  Also when you dig the safety shoes should protect your instep and spread the pressure.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 16:22:14 »
Thank you all......all except the totally decapitated are happily sprouting new growth ;)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal