Author Topic: Gritting Asparagus bed  (Read 1592 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Gritting Asparagus bed
« on: May 05, 2017, 09:52:08 »
I have been reading Teegees site ( as always!) and looking at Monty Don video. Our soil isnt clay and we are planting in an area with 20cm raised sides....as we are bottom of a hill, so water run off can mean influx of water but not extended waterlogging.

Monty talks about having clay soil and says you cant have too much drainage for this crop....I dont have clay and was thinking the gentle raised bed would be what they need....should I be mixing in sand and horti grit?
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-plant-asparagus-crowns2/
Jackie

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Gritting Asparagus bed
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:02:30 »
I don't think you need added grit.  MD's soil is very heavy and his garden is prone to flooding.   Have a look here for some good advice about soil and bed preparation -   https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/asparagus 
Obxx - Vendée France

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:54:38 »
Thank you.

I may be being thick but Im getting very confused. Sites say Asparagus ferns get to 4-8 foot high ....dependant on age and also you leave to grow that height first year.

I know there is a short harvest period....is it case you then leave other growth to grow to 5-8 foot through rest of season to build up strength....or is that only the first year.

Where we are planting is 3-4 meters wide...so thinking we need a wee path to harvest in middle and thinking we need to exclude this from row spacing calculation....or do we. Im dense with math.
Jackie

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 13:07:59 »
The harvest period is short as what you're after is the fresh new shoots before they open out.  Afterwards, as with rhubarb, you have to leave the shoots/stalks to grow and feed the roots to give a decent harvest the following year.  In the first year, like rhubarb, you shouldn't harvest at all.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 13:24:28 »
Where we are planting is 3-4 meters wide...so thinking we need a wee path to harvest in middle and thinking we need to exclude this from row spacing calculation....or do we. Im dense with math.
Ideally you want 1.2m or slightly less between paths so you can do the essential and scrupulous weeding and picking and loudly-spotted bug collecting. This probably means best to go for wee paths of the minimum width (45-60cm depending on size of feet and neatness of footwork). If that's tricky then a 1.3 - 2m bed is manageable if you leave space to put a good plank down the middle when you need it.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 13:55:41 »
Many thanks. I get stressed by math.....no peception skills after knock on head ;)

I absolutely understand now. thanks

If you had choice...would you go 9inch high or 18 inch ( two scaffold board raised height of bed?

Jackie

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 14:15:30 »
Depends on 2 things - how well drained your soil is, and whether you are going to mulch really heavily over the manure/compost mulch to the point where it starts to stray off a flat bed - 2 boards is more than enough for both on claggy soil, but 1 board is a tight squeeze for both except on light soil. Nothing stopping you nailing 2x4"s on top of one thick scaffold board though (me skipdiver; you?) - anyway the top edge always lasts longer.

I use well rotted woodchip on top of compost from the bin because I think the plants respond (to the weight?) by producing thicker spears.

On the other hand more and thinner spears are terrific in stir-frys.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 18:16:02 »
I have mine in a non-edged raised bed ... it looks a bit like a speed bump on a road.  I put weed suppressing fabric on the sides to minimise weeding (it can be pulled back if the plants spread that direction)

While planting asparagus in a raised bed undoubtedly helps with drainage, it also means they need more watering around this time of year if it is dry, asparagus is fairly shallow rooted and to get a good crop needs a decent amount of water regularly.

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 11:04:14 »
We normally think of good drainage and good water retention are opposites - but you can have both in well worked medium to heavy soil that is raised up.

I'm on heavy clay on a slight slope and I find I get both once I'm 30-40cm above the path (which is effectively a dam) - I only really need raised beds in the lowest part, though one or two are still useful higher up to get earlier warming soil.

I say well worked, but the worms are doing most of it for me.

Cheers.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 16:20:53 »
Huge thanks to all of you. Have been digging and riddling like a mad thing.....planted 60 plants and walking like Egor..it will be worth it. Our family love them and Ive wanred a beffor a long time.
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal