Author Topic: Identification please A4A experts!  (Read 2525 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
Identification please A4A experts!
« on: April 29, 2017, 19:46:52 »
Tried to upload three photos but didn't work... this one first see how it goes! They've just self-seeded in a relatively shady area populated by Primroses, Euphorbia. Alchemilla and Pulmonaria. Thanks in advance Love to all CLx
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 19:49:33 by CotswoldLass »

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Identification please A4A experts!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 21:29:25 »
looks like mouse eared hawkweed (Hieracium pilosella).
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 08:08:05 »
I had to look that up, it does look similar to images on google, perhaps not so hairy as some of the pictures?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 19:08:57 »
Thank you so much JayB - it looks a little hairier today actually. Will let you know what develops but it's welcome to stay!  :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 06:49:56 »
It is always interesting to see if you nurture a gem or a weed,

I once spent ages (18 months) with a packet of geranium seeds only to find that what I got would have graced any hedgerow and looked like every common meadow cranesbill.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 12:07:45 »
Well just one of these popped up last year and I rather liked so am hoping for more!

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 13:48:31 »
Well just one of these popped up last year and I rather liked so am hoping for more!

common name Fox & Cubs. I'm trying to grow some at the moment from a seedhead I got last year.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 15:33:52 »
It is always interesting to see if you nurture a gem or a weed,

I once spent ages (18 months) with a packet of geranium seeds only to find that what I got would have graced any hedgerow and looked like every common meadow cranesbill.

Didn't they rename geranium to pelargonium some time ago?  Had you got a packet of pelargonium seed, you might have got something more in line with your expectations, Digeroo.

I agree with you,  neighbours offered me some of their treasured wild flower geraniums they had bought! and they looked just like my weeds, so I could happily tell them that we also had them growing . 

Now these Fox and Cubs do look pretty AnnieD
:wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 19:14:54 »
Geraniums are geraniums and always have been, including meadow cranesbill.   They are native to Europe and thus hardy.

Pelargoniums are the tender South African plant that was first called geranium when it arrived here because it has the same kind of cranes bill seed head as the native European geraniums and also similarly shaped leaves.   As horticulturalists saw more pelargoniums arrive with new leaf forms - zonal and so on - they realised they are distinct species so the new arrivals needed a new name.
Obxx - Vendée France

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 21:07:22 »
Yes pilosella aurantiaca or fox and cums as AnnieD says.

And rather lovely they are too when in flower. :happy7:

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 22:17:31 »
Ha ha. I obviously meant Fox and CUBS ..... Freudian slip perhaps :toothy10:

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 11:56:27 »
Geraniums are geraniums and always have been, including meadow cranesbill.   They are native to Europe and thus hardy.

Pelargoniums are the tender South African plant that was first called geranium when it arrived here because it has the same kind of cranes bill seed head as the native European geraniums and also similarly shaped leaves.   As horticulturalists saw more pelargoniums arrive with new leaf forms - zonal and so on - they realised they are distinct species so the new arrivals needed a new name.

I love geraniums, I've got several varieties in my garden including the native blue one which is my favourite. You have to keep on top of them, they spread everywhere and drown out other plants.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal