Author Topic: My potatoes got frosted  (Read 3831 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
My potatoes got frosted
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:22 »
Will they be ok. Only slight frost, and some of the smaller plants look ok, but the taller ones have gone a bit floppy.

I know I should have earthed them up. I was planning too with the lawn clippings, but then it's been too cold and I've been too tired to mow the lawn!
gone to pot :D

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: My potatoes got frosted
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:08:40 »
They usually grow new tops, although it sets them back a bit.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 13:34:47 »
So did some of mine.  Thankfully they generally grow back, but it does set them back a week or two. 
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 13:43:35 »
mine seem to be fine will know for sure in the morning as said they will soon recover and be strong and healthy once more
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 14:01:30 »
Sounds like it isn't too bad then. Thanks for the replies.

Looking forward to the warmer weather. brrr.
gone to pot :D

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 20:04:35 »
Mine got frosted ten days ago just as they had come through. All burnt off, but most had new growth within the week. They've now got fleece on them!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 16:16:01 »
Mine got caught last Sunday was not expecting frost, they then got covered in lawn clippings and black weed suppressing fabric.  Took it off today, could not believe it, they are already up and green.  I think I will use it again next year, it seem to keep them warm.  Only took it off to let in the rain the water is supposed to go through but it seems to sit on top.  But the rain has not arrived.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 19:00:08 »
had a look at the plot today my backs gone so can hardly walk my early Charlotte are growing well  despite the frost

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 14:10:20 »
My potatoes in pots got a bit frosted as well, they will be ok.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 15:38:43 »
I was well prepared for the frost. I lovingly covered the tops with grass clippings, unfortunately I used 2 day old ones off my compost heap, and the potato tops got burned off instead. I'm trusting they will come back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 17:40:59 »
all my tubs got away with no damage i think the heat from the compost just helped to keep the frost at bay

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 20:59:09 »
The volunteers all got badly frosted...

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 17:11:18 »
I lifted my first new potatoes today just over 1kg. As I was due to go into hospital for my 2nd open heart surgery on the 10th Feb I set 3 rows of Rocket on the 7th using my long handled potato planter, covered them with heavy duty fleece ( I did not want to lose out on new pots).  I spent 5 weeks in hospital as the op went wrong. Whilst at home recovering and not being able to do much let alone go to the allotment one of my fellow allotment holders kept an eye on them, earthed them up when they needed it and recovered. Although we had a fairly heavy frost mine were not affected while most of the other plot holders were. I went down to day and was very pleasantly surprised. Next year I will set them under fleece again early Feb. I took a photo on my phone but cannot seem to download it.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 18:00:15 »
Mine have been covered in netting so I thought they would be ok but I looked earlier and some of the tops have been frosted but hopefully they will be fine
Barnsley S Yorks

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 09:45:57 »
Oddly some of ours got frosted even though there was no frost - I think the north wind rips down our long North South aligned plot and it just nipped the tops off.  Some that are a bit sheltered did fine..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 09:58:00 »
Oddly some of ours got frosted even though there was no frost - I think the north wind rips down our long North South aligned plot and it just nipped the tops off.  Some that are a bit sheltered did fine..

Full moon, radiation frost,  there were no clouds.  Doesn't actually have to be 0C.  Plants can get frosted by less than 4C. When I first heard about the connection between frost damage and full moon I thought it was an old wives tale, but I have since learned by experience that the time around full moon in October is more often than not when plants get killed in autumn.  Makes sense that spring full moon has the same effect.  But spuds recover :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 10:41:21 »
If you can actually see the moon in April or October then frost can hit.

BTW the Romans used radiative cooling to make ice in the deserts of N. Africa - dig a hole, put the water in and cover it with a big, really thick mat before dawn. Takes a few days but it still works apparently.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 11:14:24 »
It was really weird!  Some of my potatoes got frosted and some escaped it completely ... in a seemingly random pattern. The picture attached shows two neighbouring potato plants, one frosted and the other got away scott free!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 13:28:23 »

Full moon, radiation frost,  there were no clouds.

I don't think it has anything to do with a full moon per se, just the fact that the sky is clear.  Anyway thankfully they have already recovered and are looking quite good!
It was really weird!  Some of my potatoes got frosted and some escaped it completely ... in a seemingly random pattern. The picture attached shows two neighbouring potato plants, one frosted and the other got away scott free!

Same here all over our site - even in the same bed.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 18:49:53 »
Mine covered in fleece cloches, caught where the leaf tips touched the fleece. They must have grown 75mm in a day to reach it. Cannot be on hand day and night to lift on and off. Think they will be Ok. Hopefully (cloches crossed!!) we are into warmer, cloudy times for a few days. Its always difficult to guess whether one is out of winter or just back in.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal