Author Topic: What is Your Local Weather Doing Today?  (Read 17195 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: What is Your Local Weather Doing Today?
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2017, 15:02:32 »
its too hot to do much
i don't belive death is the end

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2017, 15:28:28 »
28 degrees at the moment.

But a light breeze has started up this afternoon  :icon_cheers:

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2017, 17:26:33 »
Currently 24C overcast and very humid. Expecting thunder storms soon.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2017, 17:34:46 »
My weather station recorded today's maximum at about 3pm, when it hit 33.3 C in the shade.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2017, 17:45:59 »
Very hot I am thinking that a thunder storm might clear the air, not sure if we will get one here though
Barnsley S Yorks

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2017, 07:44:32 »
What a change in a few hours, yesterday evening it turned cloudy with a mist and the temperature dropped to around 17C. This morning again mist blowing through the garden and around 16 C. This is much more typical of summer weather!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2017, 12:40:07 »
Mist here too at 5:30 and now a thin veil of cloud so a mere 34C.   Cool enough to work in tho so OH has rotavated the first two beds in the potager and spread bags of multi-purpose compost I'll be out there planting later this pm.   Our own compost bins are too new but should be cooking nicely in this heat.
Obxx - Vendée France

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2017, 17:11:30 »
Much cooler today, although we've had no rain at all. Temp is down to 17C this pm with a wind of 24km/h, which will still be drying things out!
Where's the rain gone?
Every pickle helps!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2017, 08:58:08 »
Still no real rain apart froma light shower last night, and none forecast for next few days. Much cooler, though.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2017, 15:47:08 »
Normal service has resumed.  Comfortable night, 21C at 11am and 28C at 3 pm.  Just need some rain now.  They're promising some for next Wednesday........................
Obxx - Vendée France

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2017, 18:12:55 »
 Dry and breezy which has given a little light relief from the heat
Barnsley S Yorks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2017, 19:24:29 »
Normal service has resumed.

Strange you should mention this as I have been thinking lately of how abnormal the weather this has been over the last few years.

My question:

is what we have had over the last couple of years " the norm"? I hope not because if it is I think I will have to go back to the drawing board in terms of adjusting my methods and varieties.

This year has been a bit of a nightmare for me.

For example: winters have been relatively warm so the temptation is to start earlier which I did this year meaning my plants went out just as the drier weather set in!

This meant my young plants lacked the moisture they required at this stage, (my garden and allotments are a dust bowl at the moment) and as result many of them are in advance of normal whereas others are quite poorly and I have lost more young plants than normal.

As many of you know I have been keeping a diary since 1986 and I have been comparing the old entries and the most recent plus the averages as in my website and this year I would say things are around three weeks in advance of what I would expect for the time of year here in my neck of the woods.

So if as you say this is normal then you can keep it, I am too long in the tooth now to start learning how to garden again to fit in with the weather patterns of today.

So for once Obelixx I have to disagree with you and that it is I hope that the recent weather will not be  the norm!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2017, 20:53:57 »
After the heat things are now rather cooler.  The courgettes and squashes were enjoying the heat.   May was brilliant: a great mix of sunshine and showers everything has got off to a great start here.  I am up to four courgettes a day.   

Hopefully with a bit of cooler weather the runner beans will set, in the heat most of the flowers were falling off.

Could do with some rain.   The raspberries are not as juicy as they were a few days ago.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2017, 23:34:07 »
Tee Gee - I completely understand your questioning how to proceed in future.  I think we just have to wait and see and spread sowings and plantings over a few weeks to cover all possibilities for early starts and late frosts.

The supposed average for June here is 20C but the last few days have been well into the high 30s and worse.  It's also been a very dry winter and spring - again, not normal.   The meteo sites reckon we may get some rain late Tuesday into Wednesday.   We have 3 water butts holding 350litres each but it's nowhere near enough, especially when we get the potager going.   We're thinking of buying a couple of 1000l tanks now.

Too soon to tell if this year is a blip or part of a developing pattern but we're keeping records of temps and rainfall to help.
Obxx - Vendée France

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2017, 17:25:07 »
Just 2mm of rain yesterday, useless amount for watering the plants but perfectly adequate for spoiling the family reunion BBQ!!
Every pickle helps!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2017, 10:30:43 »
Hissing down, but I got a few odds and sods planted before it started. Those sort of plants that you had over from the main planting but could not bring yourself to throw away. Now I have dug up a few potatoes there is a bit of room spare so might as well use it.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2017, 10:45:36 »
Snap Ace!

My water barrel is over flowing, my plants look perky now that they have had a god soaking, so all I  I want now  is some more of last weeks weather to return!

Not much to ask is it? :sunny:

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2017, 13:21:28 »
Can you hang on just a few days Tee Gee, need more rain here, but sun on Sunday would be good!
Every pickle helps!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2017, 16:19:00 »
Dry a.m., but light rain since about 2:30 p.m. I don't think it's enough to replenish my water butts by very much though - unless the rain continues through until tomorrow!

Tricia  :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2017, 17:13:59 »
I was supposed to deluge during the afternoon and night but it did not happen, by 10pm we had only had one drizzly shower and the road was dry.  A bit of rain in the night but road was dry by 6 am and the surface of allotment was wet and a few puddles around, but four inches down things are as dry as a bone.  Will be ok for things I have been watering, but the potatoes and carrots need a good dose of rain.  But enough to get the weeds excited.  Hopefully the beans will set, lots of bees this morning.
Today was supposed to be solid rain but only a few spits and spots. the blobs on the radar seem to be doing a little dance round us.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal