Author Topic: free pots full of soil.  (Read 1629 times)

Nora42

• Acre
free pots full of soil.
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:01:49 »
As you know I am always on the look out for pots for the school I volunteer in. The bigger the pot the more excited I get. we have a  Moyses Stevens flowers shop and small garden centre here the flowers and plants are well out of my price range but you should see the stuff the throw away. 8 really big wide black pots the only issue is they are full of soil. I asked the gardener if I could take them, obs he didn't want me to leave the soil behind but he did tell me it is not good soil full of stones and on closer inspection Lego of all things? But this morning I have had a look at this terrible soil, it seams to be top soil with sand possible an old sand pit and bits of rock/brick. I doubt very much if it is manky so I may sieve the soil and stick it on my clay allotment. I have to empty the pots anyway as I can't shift them full of soil.

would you do the same?

Nora
Norf London

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: free pots full of soil.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 14:22:32 »
As you know I am always on the look out for pots for the school I volunteer in. The bigger the pot the more excited I get. we have a  Moyses Stevens flowers shop and small garden centre here the flowers and plants are well out of my price range but you should see the stuff the throw away. 8 really big wide black pots the only issue is they are full of soil. I asked the gardener if I could take them, obs he didn't want me to leave the soil behind but he did tell me it is not good soil full of stones and on closer inspection Lego of all things? But this morning I have had a look at this terrible soil, it seams to be top soil with sand possible an old sand pit and bits of rock/brick. I doubt very much if it is manky so I may sieve the soil and stick it on my clay allotment. I have to empty the pots anyway as I can't shift them full of soil.

would you do the same?

Nora

Yes, and I'd only sieve @ 2cm for potting-on soil, and hardly bother on open clay - just a cursory pick-over for anything bigger than the stones I already find there. And Lego of course.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 15:54:55 »
myself id take all the soil to the local tip you dont know what your dealing with so id ditch the dirt and keep the pots
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 16:36:55 »
A few years ago I was offered 'used potting soil' by a local garden centre and, not thinking, took several sacks to use as mulch under fruit trees. Bad decision :BangHead: - it introduced two varieties of oxalis to my garden that I have been unable to eradicate since. So, beware  :glasses9:.

Tricia :wave:

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 19:23:09 »
Well I sieved the two massive pots, that equalled too full to the brim builders wheelbarrows. it is top soil there is the remains of a wooden raised bed and some stones (pebble size) plants roots, I am guessing privet, a copious amount of children's play sand, a pair of mangles earings , a silver spoon lego , a key, lids and building blocks. I have six pots yet to sieve. it was full of worms to and although it may lack in hummus it's top soil. so I have chucked it on the potato bed to be used for earthing up. if weeds grow we can hoe them off. hard work but I got my 14 year old to wheel them up the hill to the allotment.
Nora
Norf London

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:15:49 »
Our local wyevale has a bin for recycling pots.
Soil can you get recycled compost anywhere

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 19:01:58 »
Our local wyevale has a bin for recycling pots

Always ask if you can have what you want, the trays too! They are legally bound under the waste packaging laws to " recycle", Its a matter of discussion whether that includes re-use. They do not, as far as I have been able to establish, return to the plant grower. Too many sizes/colours/materials, too cheap to resource. A long way to Bulgaria!, thats where many "Dutch" plants and flowers come from!
They seem to bale them for collection for "rechipping" as plastic feed stock, at best.Otherwise, landfill.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal