Author Topic: Favourite time of the year  (Read 1768 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Favourite time of the year
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:08:25 »
This has to be my favourite time of the year, when the plot is dug over, the earth looks good after overnight rain, weeds haven't yet poked their heads up, and all the beans are sown (five different climbing ones, plus French and haricot for drying)
What is your favourite time of the year for the garden/allotment?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:11:15 by Peanuts »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Favourite time of the year
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:16:01 »
I like a cold crispy spring morning down the plot with the sun just poking through the clouds - so early spring is my fav season.  So much promise, so much to come and I can sit and "plan" where all my fabulous veg will go - after that reality sets in which is never as good as the fantasy!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:23:46 »
My favourite time is at the end of the season as I am winter digging as I know then what sort of season I have had, and that I am now nearly ready for the next season plus the oncoming festive season.

My thoughts are generally: All in all another enjoyable year has passed....bring on the next one

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 14:16:53 »
Mine is mid summer, say mid july to mid august, when it is warm and all my preparations and plans (while most of them) have come to fruition.

It's the time when the plot and garden is at it's peak, bees buzzing and filled with other insects/wildlife with a steady stream of fresh fruit and veg with plenty more in the offing. :happy7:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 15:05:29 »
Early summer, especially those days when you get back from the plot weighed down with early produce. Lettuce, radish, spring onions, early carrots, tiny courgette, sugar snap peas, baby parsnips, new potatoes, strawberries, etc, etc, etc.

Everything is at its very sweetest and tenderest. Nothing beats that for me.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 15:09:53 »
its a early summer vote from the sunshine coast tshirt shorts the grass stops growing and as much produce as you can carry fantastic
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 17:02:20 »
late in the year, when I have chopped my green manures into the soil and covered the raised beds for winter and washed all my pots and trays. Knowing that I have had a good year and looking forward to planning for the next. I am always ready for the change in seasons

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 18:12:55 »
Spring/early summer when there is lots of hope for the new crops and longer days
Barnsley S Yorks

OldBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 22:38:42 »
Any time I am harvesting.  This is what all my endeavours have been for, after all.  If it is sunny or even cloudy but warm, so much the better.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 09:46:21 »
I like a nice sunny day in spring.  Lottie is very sheltered from North wind so can be unexpectedly lovely.  I like Apple blossom.  Shame it has mostly gone now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal