Author Topic: Oh no, not again ... farmer's weedkiller  (Read 2383 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Oh no, not again ... farmer's weedkiller
« on: April 24, 2017, 13:10:34 »
I'm so furious.  Last year I had a problem with the neighbouring farmer spraying so close to the edge of the field that the sprays came over in to my allotment.  This year it's worse.  I've got summer raspberries over 6m from the border fence showing distinct glyphosate symptoms and closer to the fence I have 3 hazels, a plum and 2 expensive saskatoon berry plants trying to establish although they haven't shown symptoms yet I suspect it's just showing up in the raspberries quicker as they're growing fast at the moment.

I know he sprayed 2 days ago, I saw him doing it.  This is completely disastrous for the plants, and I know from asking last time that there's precious little I can do.   :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Oh no, not again ... farmer's weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 14:18:25 »
It is illegal for spray to fall on a non target area. You might find something on the hse site http://www.hse.gov.uk/pesticides/

I know you are posting about herbicide but I don`t have time to look

also

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/spraying-wind-speed.24327/

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 14:42:02 »
You might find this of use... obviously your farmer may be insured elsewhere ,or not at all.
https://www.nfumutual.co.uk/.../estates/estates-select-insurance-reference-booklet.pdf
I realise that compensation is not what you seek but the culprit may take heed if you claim, and would need to find the policy"excess" himself. Small claims court if necessary.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 14:50:37 »
I had this probe the first time I planted a whole row of wind barrier shrubs along the boundary of my then new garden in Belgium along with a whole bed of perennials.   Lost all the perennials and some of the shrubs.    I had a quiet word with teh farmer when I next saw him and asked him to be very careful about wind strength and direction in future, and he was.

However, inevitably, some still got o my garden occasionally but, being at home, I was able to rush out with the hose and rinse everything quickly.  I also took to spraying the edges of his field after harvest because I was a lot more careful than he was about controlling the weeds.

Eventually, after several gales wrought havoc, I put up a woven windbreak and that ahd the added benefit of removing spray drift.   Worth trying if you can.

And, if you have had a chat with the farmer and he's ignored you, go thru the courts and make him pay costs.   Hitting his pocket may be the only thing that works and you'll have a record from which to proceed should he persist and become a regular nuisance.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 16:08:15 »
Í think I would post a question about it on the Farmers Weekly facebook page.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 16:40:44 »
I've nothing more to add - just posting  :sad5: for your losing plants through no fault of your own. I'd also be having words with him  :pain10:

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 22:33:35 »
Having recently done my spraying course the farmer is in the wrong if he has allowed spray drift. to quote the legislation,

The Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012 require that the application of pesticides must be confined to the land, crop, structure, material or other area to be treated. The spray must not drift outside the area of application. Notifying Adjacent Occupiers
Everyone who uses a pesticide has a legal responsibility to ensure that all reasonable precautions are taken to protect the health of human beings, creatures and plants, to safeguard the environment and in particular, to avoid pollution of water.
The status of the PPP Code as a statutory code of practice is such that whilst it is not in itself an offence not to follow the advice that it gives, failure to do so can be used as evidence of a breach of legislation.
Spray Drift
If pesticide spray reaches areas other than the intended crop, it is called spray drift. Users of pesticides must ensure that all reasonable precautions are taken to prevent spray drift. COPR requires that the application of pesticides must be confined to the land, crop, structure, material or other area to be treated.

You could try giving the HSE a ring and report you concerns to them  0300 003 1647
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:18:47 »
Sorry to read your news Squeezy, furious sounds about right. It's not just plants, it's the thinking, planning, planting and work you've put in not to mention the unwanted invasion of your space with toxic chemicals. The guy spraying is just wrong, what would have happened if a young child or baby present had been present!

The next door farmer to me does occasionally spray for weeds in his pasture field next to our garden, but it is always on a calm day and he drives at a snails pace and never comes close to fence and hedge. Still I'm still somewhat anxious if ever I hear a tractor moving really slowly in the field.

Hope the damage is not as bad as first suggests  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:02:34 »
That sucks what an ignorant landowner. He is also not meeting the cross compliance requirements of his land subsidy by this action I wonder if defra have an info email address where you can raise it? Sorry this is happening to you it's so frustrating to have a neighbour poisoning your plot. One of mine used to spray rye grass seed all over my plot! Farmers sadly they just dont get gardening! X. Sunloving

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:46:20 »
This spray drift is clearly not legal Squeezyjohn and yes you should not be left out of pocket and fuming, but get compensated.  No business or industry can carry out their work by damaging others.   I hope that sunloving's idea of raising it with Defra will lead to compensation for you.  I believe I read that spraying dates must be recorded (for just such purposes).  Once you have explored whether Defra (or another agency) will help your case, you could contact the farmer, complain in writing, state your damage in monetary terms including cost of labour, to get him to settle or you will take it further.  Get witnesses who have seen the plants before and after, if you can too.  And there is the Small Claims Court route too.   Once it hurts in the pocket, the farmer will be more careful or advise his spraying contractor to be more careful.  Best of luck  :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 13:21:15 »
Thanks for your concern everyone.  When I wrote my post it was just after the spraying had happened.  I know from the previous time he did it that raspberries show effects really early on with bleached and stunted leaves at the growth tips.  I'm going down today to check out whether other things are beginning to show signs.  I sent the farmer a text message asking him to stop doing this, but he hasn't replied, I didn't think he would!

If things get worse I will see if I can get compensation and I will also ask to know exactly what it was he sprayed (these farm licensed chemicals can be a good deal stronger than anything we'll ever get our hands on!) ... only then will I know if I will be safe eating this year's raspberries, plums etc.

I don't want to be seen to be making a fuss with our only neighbour on the site.  However I do want this to stop happening, so that's the angle I'll be taking.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 17:04:24 »
I wonder have you contacted your local council, ask to speak to someone about environmental pollution.

This farmer is clearly a cowboy.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal