Author Topic: A few recommendations please  (Read 1512 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
A few recommendations please
« on: April 23, 2017, 13:19:39 »
I'm looking for a few plants for my garden, can anyone recommend varieties of the following and/or somewhere to research or buy them online...?

1. white, single flowered climbing/rambling rose with small flowers that are more like wild roses, pref with hips. For a north-east fence.

2. deep blue agapanthus that can survive winter in the south east.

3. somewhere to buy astrantias online (I've tried garden centres for years but never seen any!)

thanks

(sorry, long time since I've posted, been busy/ill/distracted from my garden for a few years and it's got very neglected now!)
gone to pot :D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: A few recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 15:02:23 »
Roses - Kiftsgate is a single flowered rambler which will cope well in that aspect.  It produces hips too but quite small ones.  Nevertheless, the birds loved them in my last garden.   It can get to 10m so you need to make sure you have plenty of space and some good supports such as evenly spaced, tensioned wires attached to the wall with vine eyes to allow for easy training and guidance with ventilation against diseases.

I would advise you grow agapanthus in pots you can take into shelter for winter to keep them safe from excess moisture as well as cold.

Crocus have several varieties of astrantia on their list and are known to be reliable suppliers of good quality plants.   Astrantia prefer a moist soil and a bit of shade from the strongest hours of summer sun.
Obxx - Vendée France

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 17:28:18 »
thanks!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 09:23:01 »
Maybe too late but I found an Astrantia for £1 in the reduced basket at Wilko yesterday,with all the bulbs.Wouldn't have expected to find it in that form and it may be completely dried out but worth a try!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:58 »
Thanks Caroline. I don't go to Wilko often, but might see if I can fit in a visit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal