Author Topic: Squashes  (Read 1766 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Squashes
« on: April 23, 2017, 11:43:01 »
I put butternut squash in pots to start weeks ago - no sign of germination yet.  Should I have another go using the propagator this time.  Also courgettes have not shown yet in the greenhouse.  Still too cold?
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Squashes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:01:53 »
I put butternut squash in pots to start weeks ago - no sign of germination yet.  Should I have another go using the propagator this time.  Also courgettes have not shown yet in the greenhouse.  Still too cold?

I would plant some more squash and courgettes.  I find it can be hit and miss with these seeds especially if the packets are older. 

You could start them off wrapped in damp kitchen paper, put in a sandwich bag or small plastic food containers and placed in an airing cupboard.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 12:28:11 »
They certainly start better in a propagator.  If you can transfer those pots that don't show any signs of germination to somewhere warmer, that would be good.  Either in the propagator or the airing cupboard etc.

By the way, light is not necessary for germination.  But once the seedlings have come up they need good light. 

For new seeds, either put them into the heated propagator.  Or follow Pauline7's suggestions.  A Chinese plastic food container with a sheet of toilet paper dampened, seeds on top and labelled, the lid closed and off to a warm place.  You need to inspect daily and plant any that have germinated into pots in good light and still as warm as you can manage.

Good luck, and don't give up on your first sowing yet - a week is not a long time.  If they are still going to germinate, they will do so quicker in warmth.  :wave:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 12:40:11 »

Good luck, and don't give up on your first sowing yet - a week is not a long time.  If they are still going to germinate, they will do so quicker in warmth.  :wave:

Galina, when I read Tiny Clanger's post, I thought that the seeds had only been in for a week but on reading it again, I noticed that they had been in for a while as Tiny Clanger had written "I put butternut squash in pots to start weeks ago".

I think the only way is to start again and perhaps leave the ones that haven't propagated to see if they come up as a bonus.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 15:18:30 »
You are right Pauline - off to make that specsaver's appointment ?   :BangHead:  :tongue3:

Galina, when I read Tiny Clanger's post, I thought that the seeds had only been in for a week but on reading it again, I noticed that they had been in for a while as Tiny Clanger had written "I put butternut squash in pots to start weeks ago".

I think the only way is to start again and perhaps leave the ones that haven't propagated to see if they come up as a bonus.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 15:30:34 »
If you decide to sow more sow them on edge.

Week 16: (End of April) Sow one or two seeds (on edge) into 75mm (3") pots of seed compost.

Germinate at a temperature of 10°C (50°F), this should take about a week.

Alternatively, sow seeds in-situ where the plants are to grow, and protect them with cloches.

Week 18: Prick out seedlings into 70mm (3") pots.

Harden off the young plants in a cold frame prior to planting out.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 16:09:38 »
I think I need to go to spec savers too.  I also read it as a week ago. 

I put mine in damp kitchen roll and cover with plastic and put on a sunny windowsill and during evening they go onto a radiator.    I do however think they germinate better with even heat.  Sometimes damaging the shell can help.  Try snipping off a small section on the rounded end.

I have been keeping some of my squash and courgette seeds in the freezer and the ones I take out seem to germinate very quickly.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 17:37:23 »

I would plant some more squash and courgettes.  I find it can be hit and miss with these seeds especially if the packets are older. 

You could start them off wrapped in damp kitchen paper, put in a sandwich bag or small plastic food containers and placed in an airing cupboard.

If you can I would bring the pots with the sowed seed indoors, I find members of the cucurbit family don't like the up/down temperatures that greenhouses provide.

I've always had better germination in my house where the temp is more constant.

You might however be better off sowing new seeds, but it could just be worth a try.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal