Author Topic: John Innes type composts.  (Read 1749 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
John Innes type composts.
« on: April 21, 2017, 21:46:13 »
Does anyone use these types of compost for their growing. By this I mean composts labeled JI Seed, 1, 2 & 3 and are soil based (as opposed to most multipurpose composts that are soilless).

I always use JI Seed compost, I always used to transplant seedlings direct into multipurpose. However I began to notice that the seedlings often struggled to get going after transplanting. I thought perhaps it was shock at being planted into much richer compost and decided to try JI 1 type compost which is designed for young plants and is the next step up from the seed mix. Results are so far promising, those seedlings in JI1 seem to be doing better than those planted slightly earlier in ordinary multipurpose.

Would be interested to read others experiences if these composts.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: John Innes type composts.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 23:32:50 »
I don't use any of the Ji recipes as such but I have been experimenting with mixing my own by mixing mp compost  with really well rotted home made compost (2years old) from my dalek compost bins.

I find that if I seive  my home made compost (the loam if you like)through a 12mm (half inch) riddle / seive and add it 50-50 to new mp compost. I  then add Vitax Q4 fertiliser and some lime to a recipe supplied by Vitax for making Ji recipes.

As I mentioned this is an experiment and one problem I am having is water holding properties i e it tends to get over wet if I am not careful.

This  is not surprising when you consider I am mixing recycled materials from my garden / kitchen with mp compost which also is made from rotted vegetative materials,i e "peat free"

Currently I get the texture and weight of Ji recipes but not necessarily the drainage attributes so I am experimenting  with varying quantities of silver sand to get nearer to the original Ji  recipes.

I am finding that my recipes are producing a fairly decent potting compost, but I don't use it as a seed compost.

What I would like to know is what are the compost producers using in place of peat and loam to make a product that meets the Ji patent and trading standards.??????

Someday I might buy a small bag to compare their recipe with my recipe!

For seed compost I buy run of the mill mp compost as it is supposedly sterile, then I thin it down  with silver sand to reduce the fertiliser ratio, i e reduce the ratio of fertiliser content.

I can appreciate many of you will think that going to these lengths is a bit O.T.T. But this habit goes back to the days when I exhibited my Flowers & Veg and I used to make composts to suit the needs of what I was growing.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 00:01:03 »
Making your own is only really worthwhile if you can make enough compost for it. Mine sieves down to nice stuff but I never have enough to make it worth doing.

I do though use sieved garden loam mixed with grobag or multipurpose compost to make a mixture for my outdoor tomato pots. Always seem to do well in it as the loam (soil) helps retain the moisture and nutrients better than the bought stuff alone. End of the season the mix gets bagged and used as soil conditioner or mulch.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:32:53 »
I do not use manufactured Ji Composts, due to the cost & weights to transport.(Weight is cost in transport)
Homemade composts are requiring of good forward planning, which is a restraint. However this post prompted a question.
I provide a link to the RHS which seems appropriate:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=952

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:52:37 »
I provide a link to the RHS which seems appropriate:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=952

This more or less agrees with my thoughts,nice to know it is not my senility that is  in question :BangHead:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 17:22:44 »
Can't get JI anything here in France, or when I was in Belgium, but I've learned never to use MPC for anything other than as a soil conditioner.  For sowing and cuttings I buy compost designated as suitable and it tends to have more fine gritty/loam in it.  For planting tubs and seedlings I use compost deemed suitable for pelargoniums and baskets and troughs as it has a bit of water retention granules in it and also a longer food supply.

In Belgium I had composts sussed but here I'm on a learning curve again.   I find composts here are not well sterilised so I sow in cells or small pots to help identify rogues and also I sieve first if I'm doing seeds as there are often big chunks.  Nobody seems bothered about peat free here and I can still buy peat pots for seeds and seedlings.  Saw some soil conditioner the other day proudly proclaiming which eastern EU country it came from.   Can't remember which and didn't buy any.
Obxx - Vendée France

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 21:11:08 »
Have transplanted a load of seedlings into JI1 and they are doing well. Now some need potting up into larger pots or modules. Wondering what compost to use. Don't think pure multipurpose is a good idea. Should I be sticking with JI 1 or go up to a stronger mix? If so what?

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 17:11:59 »
I've only ever used JI recipie composts on its own when working for someone who required me to use it.

But I'm not a fan, I find it sets hard & heavy bit like concrete.

I do use JI composts mixed with some multi purpose though, I find the addition of JI adds some 'body', and really helps with water retention.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal