Author Topic: When is it going to rain again?  (Read 7949 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
When is it going to rain again?
« on: April 19, 2017, 20:35:04 »
It's not a serious question but it does feel like it's been 40 days and 40 nights now ... definitely over a month now and it's normally pouring down every other day at this time of year.  I'm seriously starting to run out of water on my site and seeds simply won't germinate.  I started off watering my asparagus to help the crop, but it uses a lot of water and I've stopped now as I need to water in all the things grown in modules in the greenhouse if they're to transplant properly.  My blueberries are all in flower, but the foliage has taken on a distinctly autumnal reddish hue which I hope is due to the drought and not a problem with the pH or nutrients.

I saved 1000 litres in an IBC container from the winter rain ... It's two thirds empty now!

Can't we do a rain dance or something?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: When is it going to rain again?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 21:05:39 »
I tried rain dances a few years ago and ended up with flooding!!

Very dry here too.   I use mulching and it seems to help a lot.  Anything that has been mulched is doing fine. 

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 21:21:19 »
I remember that year!  The day after Thames Water put a hosepipe ban in place it rained every day (or seemed like it) for the rest of the summer.  That was April too!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 23:08:34 »
Soon we hope.

Lots of things are still OK at the moment, indeed most look pretty healthy, although I have some carrots and beetroot that are proving very slow to germinate probably due to lack of moisture. Another week and I suspect some crops will start showing stress.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:46:48 »
Never mind the crops, we are getting stressed! Likewise here, no significant rain for at least a month.  :BangHead:
Located in Royston, North Herts.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:02:28 »
Fine drizzle here at the moment.  Soil also very dry now and have been watering for a while now.  Could do with a water stores refill as less than half of water left.  We have been using grey water some years, not quite there yet.   :wave:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:12:10 »
Had a bit of rain in the night here but not enough to make much difference. Glad I've made a late start with sowings this year so not having to do too much watering.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:51:07 »
Shhhhhh!!

Careful what you wish for,some of you may recall that April /May were in reverse last year I.e. We got our "April Showers" in May.

In my case it has not been needed as I have nothing planted out to water, apart from my seedlings in the greenhouse, although I have to say my water barrel is now only about one third full.

When I planted out my potatoes a couple of days ago the soil was quite damp from about 2" down.I put this down to preparing my soil in October / November allowing the manure to soak up the winter rains and rot it away into rich humus.

We must have had a shower overnight as the ground was quite damp this morning, which is good because I absolutely hate watering!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 10:16:30 »
Just had a little drizzle for about half an hour.  Nothing got into the waterbutt expect the lichen and moss has had it all.   Leaves wet but do not expect anything got to the roots.
Things very dry here.  People who have rotavated seem to have created dust bowls. Where my plot was dug in autumn and covered in manure it is damp only a couple of inches down.   Moved the compost bin left a small pile behind and yesterday planted out a
few beans, the soil was perfect.   

Getting frustrated seeing people watering, using a rose and casting it all over the place I expect most of it evaporates.   

Tuesday looks like a possibility.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 13:18:49 »
As Tee-Gee says "be careful what you wish for".  There is still time to have a few frosts and some snow, never mind the bl***y rain.  The ground is still damp about 2 inches down so do what you can and leave the rest.  You can water too much! when you see weeds dying due to lack of water that is the time to worry.

Bill

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 13:52:27 »
no rain for 6 weeks here on the sunshine coast last rain was for two hours 8Th march however crops seem to growing steadily and yes its damp 2" down  and still cutting the grass on the plots twice a week getting another greenhouse tomorrow so its bound to rain the weekend as i want to erect it and finish the pumpkin house as wife has a major opp on Monday some rain is forecast middle next week and some chili nights so the fleece will be out how ever its forecast for 4 degrees so should be OK with the fleece the sea breezes keep up the temperature being only 3/4to a mile from it
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 07:35:44 »
Looks like Tuesday to Thursday will be cold.  Wind due to come straight down from the North Pole on Thurday and then suddenly turn

I agree with TeeGee I think that it will be a lot wetter in May, but hopefully no frost.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 16:26:25 »
I keep wishing for rain too. Planted my news plants on Sunday, 6in+ down, it's bone dry. Really hard to dig as well. It rained yesterday evening. Started raining good proper rain, I thought "oh good!" then it stopped 5 mins later. No water at all in the trays on the patio.

It's April. Where's the rain? It's really blooming cold, though, needed my winter coat again today, and gloves!
gone to pot :D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 18:41:21 »
Rain, snow and hail today but still not a real soaking.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 19:26:57 »
Soon! Spent yesterday trenching in a 20mm alkathene feed from the "landlords" mains supply. Just need to make up some trickle hose and a lawn saver sprinkler or pulsating head. That will probably bring on the next Ark event!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 19:31:17 »
Today I planted up a potted rose I got for my birthday. Digging the hole showed just how dry the soil is, had to water the bottom of an 18in deep hole before I could put the rose into it. :crybaby2:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 20:43:10 »
still no rain last rain was the 8th march
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 13:22:21 »
We had a little thunderstorm last night, but the rain only lasted for 45 minutes or so.  Still it's better than nothing!

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 14:03:32 »
We've had a couple of short sharp showers here today - as you say, better than nothing.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 17:15:37 »
Nothing down here for weeks, after complaining about a long wet winter we are now desperate  for rain. Water butts empty and the ground like concrete.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal