Author Topic: Seren unwell  (Read 14416 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seren unwell
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:50 »
I took Seren into the vets at the beginning of the month to be neutered, following advice I thought it would be best for her in the long run. Though it was tearing to have to leave her at the vets. All went well and she came home the same day and although she didn't perk up until the following day she seemed to be doing very well and the vet was happy at her two day post op check up. The wound seemed to heal well and she seemed happy and well until last Sunday (5 days after her operation) when she wouldn't eat her food. I left it about a half hour, but this is exactly how it started last time, so contacted the out of hours vet team who said to bring her in.

Seren was running a high temperature and quite lethargic , in view of her history, they ran some basic blood tests and gave her an intravenous dose of antibiotics and anti inflammatory/painkiller. As it was so late by this time I brought her home and they said if a was worried to phone or bring her back. I took her to my vets first thing, they were unsure what was causing her temperature rise which hadn't come down overnight. They contacted bristol hospital who wanted to see her in the afternoon.

We saw a lovely vet there who said they needed to keep Seren with them to run tests, they weren't sure if it was somehow a recurrence or something new. It was heart wrenching to leave her again and my stomach was churning and she looked so sad and miserable, her eyes said a lot but I can only imagine how poorly she was feeling. So hard.

The best news is she is now home with me. During a scan they found some abnormalities in her abdomen, which they felt might be the problem following her operation the previous week. Turns out she reacted to the internal stitches they put in and she had signs of inflammation and infection internally. They operated again and removed all the stitches and damaged tissue, took samples to send off and flushed out her cavity. Not sure how much this is all going to cost as the insurance will only cover part of it. But once they were happy there were no other complications and she was responding well I got those magic words I could come and collect her!

Poor little poppet, two big operations in a week! Though I can see her improving already and marvel at how resilient dogs are. She's being very clingy and doesn't like being left for a moment. She is gaining back her appetite and hope she will put on some of the weight she has lost soon. She's being so good about taking her tablets but only short lead walks for a month!!!!

Sorry for the long post, needed to offload.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2017, 14:55:03 »
No apologies required. Hope she'll be properly well now.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2017, 15:14:13 »
I am sorry to read that Seren has not been well again following her neutering, but pleased she is now on the mend.   

Seren seems to have had a lot of things going wrong in her first six months and it has been a huge worry for you.  What you will never know if it is anything the vet did that caused the infection and inflammation when operating, but I would change my vet if it had happened to any of my animals. 

We changed vets about 16 years ago when our cat Sweepy cut himself on some glass.  The gash went right across his stomach but, fortunately, did not go very deep.  When it came to having the stitches out, the gash had not healed properly and as I held him for the vet to take the stitches out, I saw that they were not close enough together.  The vet said he would have to redo it and was going to charge me for it.  I told him that I should not have to pay for it again as I felt he had not put the stitches close enough.  In the end I had to pay half the cost of this second lot of treatment.  Had I taken Sweepy elsewhere, I would have had to pay the whole lot again, so I didn't have a lot of choice.  Sweepy recovered after having had the the stitches redone but I changed my vet after that experience and am pleased with the practice that I use now. 

Please give a big cuddle and kiss to Seren from me.  She has been through such a lot.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2017, 21:01:29 »
So sorry to read this but pleased for her and for you that she is getting better.  Poor doggie, Seren.

:wave:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2017, 00:53:45 »
Hope Seren is feeling better.  So distressing when they are ill and have to left at the vet, as they don't understand.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2017, 07:04:56 »
How is she today?  :wave:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2017, 07:10:45 »
Please give your Pup an extra pat from me the extra loving always helps.

Gazza x

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2017, 14:36:52 »
So sorry to hear this re Seren, you must feel wrung out. Hoping she bounces bac quickly
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal