Author Topic: Advise on deterrents due to vandalism... cctv  (Read 1635 times)

steve76

• Acre
Advise on deterrents due to vandalism... cctv
« on: April 16, 2017, 14:06:59 »
Hi all,
On our site we have had an increase in vandalism and twice since the new year they have targeted my chickens   :angryfire:, and my greenhouse..
We are in contact with the police who are stepping up patrols but they advised cctv?
We have no electric on the site so it would have to be wildlife cameras so my question is has anybody used them,
some advise on a model, and what's stopping someone stealing these?
 Have looked on ebay etc but soooo many and i'm not very tech savvy so not sure what to look for..
Any ideas on other methods people have used to prevent vandals?  The plot is council owned and is fenced all round but the just bunk each other over it..
Thefts are only things like camping stoves and radios, it is mainly just vandalism that does sadly increase in the school holiday periods..

Thanks all
Steve.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Re: Advise on deterrents due to vandalism... cctv
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 16:25:54 »
So horrible that they would target your chickens :(
Located in Royston, North Herts.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 18:25:40 »
Why not put up a sign 'Security Cameras Operate In This Area' first to see if that alone deters them before you go the expense of a real camera.

It may be possible to get a battery or perhaps a solar operated camera. A shed on our site had a solar powered shower in it! Another plot holder had a 12v battery to power his shed, kettle etc. :happy7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 18:48:43 »
'Security Cameras Operate In This Area' and a little flashing light in a box.
I got a cheapo plastic hook with a camera in it.  It is movement sensitive.  I got some lovely pics of weeds waving round in the wind.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 19:00:45 »
Have you considered a solar panel to supply electric power.

One of our plotholders has a state of the art watering system and he uses a small solar panel on the roof of his shed to power it up.

I am no expert on solar panels and cctv electrical needs but it might be worth checking it out

Wizpod.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 19:16:49 »
A metal notice saying Dogs loose.Security dogs training area might work.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 16:09:23 »
Thanks all for the advise,
        I'm going to look into solar panels and a dummy cctv ( the solar panel would help with light in the winter when seeing to the chickens..)
 Thanks all.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 18:22:29 »
we had another visit last night from the low life scum that claim to be human 40 or so sheds vandalized i escaped this time however the smart money is on them returning to finish the job  nothing taken apart from one or two small hand tools knives etc  it really is getting regular 3 times in 4 months  one hopes they die a slow painful death before they try to return maybe my warning sign may have helped there again that's on the assumption  they can read
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 19:32:24 »
These are excellent, they don't wait around for the second 'shot'      http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 14:33:48 »
Sadly they broke into the site again last night, broke my chicken house (chickens are ok ) and smashed almost half of another plot holders greenhouse. 
The cctv signs didn't work..
 looks like expensive wildlife cameras, but funds are short as had  a hit and drive off on my car midweek, insurance company want to write it off (it is 10 years old ) but can't afford a new one so getting it repaired out of my own pocket..

Just want to give it up sooooo angry and fed up now.....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal