Author Topic: beans  (Read 2003 times)

ACE

• Hectare
beans
« on: April 14, 2017, 12:54:46 »
As my diet has a lot beans nowadays, I thought I would increase my crop with some different varieties. They all taste the same to me no matter what their shape or colour so which ones do the best?  I know (lima) butter beans need more warmth than we get but what about all the others and those big bags of dried beans from the grocers would they grow if they were planted or are they treated or dried too much. I've got all the runners, broadies and french types sorted, it is the ones they use in cooking as seeds I need to know about.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: beans
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 14:10:27 »
Hello Ace,   In France they eat several types of beans not as dried but as semi dried (you wait till the pod has shrivelled and the beans inside have swelled but then you cook them soon after harvesting).  I find they are very tasty liek that, but you can also dry them too for winter. The Coco de Paimpol is a nice white bean. And there are all the Borlottis too.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 08:03:33 »
Beans from Grocer normally grow but they are not necessarily maximised for our climate.
The real expert on growing beans for drying is Chriscross unfortunately he has not been on board recent.
Major Cook is very good, does not produce the wind problems of other beans, makes very good baked beans.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:26:07 »
Ace, a very acceptable lima bean (butter bean) replacement is a runner bean that has been left to develop way beyond the stage that the pod is edible.  After all that is what the famous Greek Gigantes beans are.  Any runnerbean will do, especially any white seeded varieties, but RealSeeds are selling the real deal:
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/runnerbeans.html
:wave:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:28:48 by galina »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 13:01:35 »
Ace the best bean on the market in my opinion is Cobra, a stringless pencil podded bean.

With careful sowing you can successionally  crop them three or four times a season, particularly if you grow them under cover, you might be able to get 3 crops on the IOW

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 13:19:47 »
Ace the best bean on the market in my opinion is Cobra, a stringless pencil podded bean.

With careful sowing you can successionally  crop them three or four times a season, particularly if you grow them under cover, you might be able to get 3 crops on the IOW
for me the best tasting bean is hunter a flat french bean great for slicing and freezes very well
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 13:27:10 »
freezes very well

Although I freeze some I am not over fond of frozen veg its the smell that puts me off.

I used to add a bay leaf in the cooking to alleviate this situation but my Bay tree died on me and I have never got round to replacing it!

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 14:07:55 »
For green beans I like growing Trionfo Violetto  and for podded beans I like Spagno Bianco (nearly as big as the Greek Gigantes) and more reliable in my climate.
White Lady is IMO is the best of the runner beans for slicing.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 17:36:47 »
I always grow the climbing French beans Blue Lake . ...the runners seem all pretty much the same to me , but I ,m growing Firestorm again this year . Dont like Broadbeans ..yuk !  :tongue3:
Trespassers will be composted !

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 17:42:35 »
My favourite are BORLOTTI beans lovely in stews and soups, can be eaten like French beans in the early stages. I also pod them mid way through the season and eat like broad beans and freeze the prodded beans for soups later👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 10:43:29 »
I'd try the mixed bag, you're in a nice warm spot, :happy7:
As Antipodes says picking them at the 'shelly' stage for eating or freezing is good, the beans are more tender, plus it cuts the cooking time and no need to soak.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal