Author Topic: Allotment bill  (Read 2349 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Allotment bill
« on: April 13, 2017, 20:55:29 »
Just got my bill from the Council for my allotment, I get a discount as an Enfield resident and an OAP, but it is £112.50 which I think is reasonable, although it has obviously gone up in 13 years.  I am a bit undecided whether to continue, as I am finding it has got out of control and haven't done much this year as still thinking about moving, and worrying about the bl...dy cat.  It is funny how age creeps up, the apple, pear, plum tree look beautiful and the raspberries, strawberries, look OK. The redcurrants are good for the birds, and have rhubarb in the freezer cooked from last year.  Had everlasting spinach tonight, but think the excitement has worn off and we are not eating so much food.  I think I will have a word with Allotment Sec. soon as see if he knows someone that would appreciate it, as I have many plant friends up there that I have planted over the years, and of course allotment friends. I think a small garden with a greenhouse would suit me better now.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
Re: Allotment bill
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:05:16 »
Made that decision a few years ago and now have a manageable plot at home with a green house and grow the things we would not do without, a row of first earlies instead of growing all of our potatoes, a row of peas and carrots and others such as cauli few at a time in succession. Still manage to freeze broad beans, runner beans etc most years. I still have my fruit cage - made room for it couldn't do without our own rasps and strawberries. Come to think of it we have managed to fit in a few asparagus as well, amazing what you can do in quite a small space!

ps Hope Dulcie is doing well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:10:46 by Redalder »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:33:59 »
Last year I nearly gave up.  I kept coughing.  But now pleased I didn't as I have got the weeds under control again, and everything is growing nicely.  Apart from my strawberries which someone dug up.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 13:13:22 »
Just got my bill from the Council for my allotment, I get a discount as an Enfield resident and an OAP, but it is £112.50 which I think is reasonable,

£112.50 is that a typo?

I ask because my plot and a half only costs me £18.62  (£12.44 +£6.17) I think the full price for a whole plot is just less than £25.

Like you I get the senior citizens discount (50%)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 13:16:17 »
Just got my bill from the Council for my allotment, I get a discount as an Enfield resident and an OAP, but it is £112.50 which I think is reasonable,

£112.50 is that a typo?

I ask because my plot and a half only costs me £18.62  (£12.44 +£6.17) I think the full price for a whole plot is just less than £25.

Like you I get the senior citizens discount (50%)
its £2 per rod here no OAP discount so my three plots work out £60
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 18:46:17 »
It is £112.50, have the bill in front of me and says in big letters payment due immediately.  £90 for the allotment and £22.50 water charge. But if I give it up I do get £8 refund for the allotment key (I hope).  :sunny: Just got back from the allotment and although it is overgrown, the apple, pear, plum tree, raspberries, strawberries, redcurrants, gooseberries etc. etc. all doing well so maybe just pay up and look big, and if we do move, someone else can have it. I do give a lot of fruit away, as I am such a lovely person. Will decide after Easter, have just got approved for a Barclaycard, hopefully will not have to use it,with £6,500 limit so am not too worried if I have to pay for the operation for the cat, then can pay it back monthly. May have to cancel the standing order for the dogs for the blind as they got fined £15,000, so that is a waste of my little contribution monthly. We have paid for the house and have no debts, so I suppose I am just panicking, dont like owing money. Just going to look at bungalows for sale in Clacton.  :sunny: :sunny:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 18:50:07 »
It is £112.50, have the bill in front of me and says in big letters payment due immediately.  £90 for the allotment and £22.50 water charge. But if I give it up I do get £8 refund for the allotment key (I hope).  :sunny: Just got back from the allotment and although it is overgrown, the apple, pear, plum tree, raspberries, strawberries, redcurrants, gooseberries etc. etc. all doing well so maybe just pay up and look big, and if we do move, someone else can have it. I do give a lot of fruit away, as I am such a lovely person. Will decide after Easter, have just got approved for a Barclaycard, hopefully will not have to use it,with £6,500 limit so am not too worried if I have to pay for the operation for the cat, then can pay it back monthly. May have to cancel the standing order for the dogs for the blind as they got fined £15,000, so that is a waste of my little contribution monthly. We have paid for the house and have no debts, so I suppose I am just panicking, dont like owing money. Just going to look at bungalows for sale in Clacton.  :sunny: :sunny:
if your in clacton pop along to london road allotments ill give you a tour  i moved here 8 years ago from chingford its the best thing i ever did
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 19:00:47 »
We are hoping to move away from London soon, better start clearing up all my rubbish.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:51 »
Went to the allotment yesterday and think that my apple tree in blossom is the best one there, so decided to keep the allotment for this year.  Strawberries should be good, so if we do move can always hand the keys back.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal