Author Topic: Blueberry care  (Read 1351 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
Blueberry care
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:57:14 »
We don't want to use sphagnum around blueberries. Can I use pine needles or/and earth from the floor of a pine forest as an acidic addition?
near Copenhagen, Denmark

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Blueberry care
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:28:53 »
Hi mormor,

My soil is non-chalky pH7 and I have a blueberry bed that I prepared before planting them out with the addition of some sulphur chips and ericaceous compost at the start.  Despite being told over and over again that pine needles are not particularly acidic I have gone and collected a pine forest mulch every year to top dress with (I also add a little yellow sulphur) - and my blueberries seem to be thriving.  Even if it doesn't particularly help with the pH, the pine needles break down to a really lovely dark rich compost layer on the top after a couple of years.

Squeezy

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 16:59:46 »
indeed pine needles rot down to neutral   i always use half a teaspoon of sulphate of iron on my blueberries  mine are in pots are do very well  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 18:29:41 »
Thank you. Where do I buy sulphate of iron? I wonder what It's called in Danish! Google will probably know!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 19:16:57 »
Thank you. Where do I buy sulphate of iron? I wonder what It's called in Danish! Google will probably know!
most garden centres will stock it dont use too much half a teaspoon per 30cm pot is plenty
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 21:41:44 »
Coffee grinds from your local coffee shop are very good for blue berries and free, I use them as thick mulch and mine thrive with this as their only feed and i do this with all my acid loving plants around the garden.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 22:09:17 »
I also use coffee grounds that waitrose give away for free on my blueberries ... but they are also proven to rot down to a neutral compost!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal