Produce > Chillies Ahoy

Help needed about overextended peppers and chillies?

<< < (2/2)

Vinlander:

--- Quote from: Hector on April 26, 2017, 21:33:07 ---The green stemmed Baccatum ones that overwintered are sprouting , so pleased!

Vinlander...do I trim down the older /dead looking stem?

--- End quote ---
I always try to trim because a trimmer plant is less likely to bump into me when I'm rearranging them. It also makes it easier to keep an eye on the ones that are on the way out (figuratively and literally) as space is limited and is needed for new stuff until mid-May.

But I always remove the properly dead bits first and gradually chop deeper into the yellow so I can stop if I see moist green inside. I also try to leave a node (and if I can a Y joint), above where the obvious green ends so it can sprout if it wants to, but if the sprouting has started you can probably skip the Y's.

Sprouts are a really good sign, but I'm suspecting that yearling plants are more prone to "stops" as so many are overtaken by seedlings in the next month or so.

It might be because the seedlings are on heated capillary mat until May (they are in 38x25x100mm trunking pots now but there's no way I can give that space to full size pots).

On the other hand, I don't see a noticeably different story if I turn the seedling heat off in April - on the rare years where the nights are mild and the whole sunroom is warm 24/7.

Cheers.

PS. Sorry if you saw the wrong dimensions earlier, I tried the smaller stuff last year but it is just too fiddly.

Plot 18:
I just nip the tops out if they are getting too tall, makes them grow bushy.

Hector:
Thanks folks, just what I needed to know :)

Nora42:
thanks folks,
of course I am being laughed at by the teachers - "what are these sticks" they ask with glee. well I'm going in over the weekend to repot with fresh compost and give them a trim and see what happens, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. what's annoying me more is all the labels have been misplaced so our only way of knowing what these plants are is to try to get them to fruit.
but it can't be all bad the parsley seeds have germinated.........
Nora

and the tile of this post should have read overwintered bloody predictive text!

Hector:
Nora...I really really want your "sticks" to flourish to silence the unbelievers :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version