Author Topic: spring has sprung  (Read 3946 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
spring has sprung
« on: April 11, 2017, 14:10:01 »
my apricot and peach have a load of fruitlets this year hows yours doing in your part of the world
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: spring has sprung
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 14:48:44 »
My Cherry tree looks amazing - not sure I have ever seen as much blossom.
Some little pears and my new damson and sloe both have tiny fruits. All looking good this year..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 21:09:43 »
Loads of blossom here... hoping for a good set, but the gages and plums may have had a frosting... will know in a week or so..

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 00:35:02 »
my apricot and peach have a load of fruitlets this year how's yours doing in your part of the world

What variety of peach are you growing? I have Avalon Pride into it's second year and while it had flowers both last year and this there has been no fruit set although I hand pollinated. The flowers didn't seem to open fully. I know some peach trees have really good flowers.

You said before your apricot is Alfred, a variety I shall be ordering in autumn. I have a Tomcot but it has only been planted a couple of months so I hope for fruit forming this time next year.

I do have a few almonds set so the hand pollination does work. :icon_cheers:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 06:36:13 »
my apricot and peach have a load of fruitlets this year how's yours doing in your part of the world

What variety of peach are you growing? I have Avalon Pride into it's second year and while it had flowers both last year and this there has been no fruit set although I hand pollinated. The flowers didn't seem to open fully. I know some peach trees have really good flowers.

You said before your apricot is Alfred, a variety I shall be ordering in autumn. I have a Tomcot but it has only been planted a couple of months so I hope for fruit forming this time next year.

I do have a few almonds set so the hand pollination does work. :icon_cheers:
my peaches came from lidl  so have no idea what they are they have been under a plastic cover all winter just open at both ends to stop leaf curl which it has will do this next year as i think the extra protection fron the plastic as made sure of a good set you can just see the structure at the back of this pic hope this helps

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 17:07:30 »
this is my cherry lets hope for a bountiful harvest

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 17:08:56 »
and a cobra apple which is a cox/bramley cross

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 20:18:37 »
my peaches came from lidl  so have no idea what they are they have been under a plastic cover all winter just open at both ends to stop leaf curl which it has will do this next year as i think the extra protection from the plastic as made sure of a good set you can just see the structure at the back of this pic hope this helps

So it could be a European variety if it came from Lidl. I have seen some recommended euro varieties offered for sale from online fruit nurseries.

I chose Avalon Pride because it is supposed to be leaf curl resistant. From your description it could be it needs extra protection at flowering as well. I shall try this next spring. I'm coming to the conclusion that apricots may be a better prospect anyway. :happy7:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 17:34:01 »
my peaches came from lidl  so have no idea what they are they have been under a plastic cover all winter just open at both ends to stop leaf curl which it has will do this next year as i think the extra protection from the plastic as made sure of a good set you can just see the structure at the back of this pic hope this helps

So it could be a European variety if it came from Lidl. I have seen some recommended euro varieties offered for sale from online fruit nurseries.

I chose Avalon Pride because it is supposed to be leaf curl resistant. From your description it could be it needs extra protection at flowering as well. I shall try this next spring. I'm coming to the conclusion that apricots may be a better prospect anyway. :happy7:
my anti leaf curl device 1A  is the way to go its been up all winter thru storms hail and a little snow give it a try it worked for me

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 12:30:13 »
lost my first onion to white rot this morning  :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: looks like my new plot is as bad as my old one

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 12:57:41 »
Sorry to hear it Johnny.

Just as a point of interest ...when was that picture taken?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 13:13:20 »
Sorry to hear it Johnny.

Just as a point of interest ...when was that picture taken?
this morning

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 13:23:36 »
Wow!

Like my potatoes my onions & shallots are not planted out yet, might do the shallots next week.

Add to that I have given up with over wintering types although I am experimenting with some some potato onions which I planted at the same time as my garlic and they seem to be doing well.

If the experiment is a success I might go this route next season.

This picture was taken a little over two weeks ago that's them at the bottom of the picture they are about twice that height now!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 13:35:23 »
Wow!

Like my potatoes my onions & shallots are not planted out yet, might do the shallots next week.

Add to that I have given up with over wintering types although I am experimenting with some some potato onions which I planted at the same time as my garlic and they seem to be doing well.

If the experiment is a success I might go this route next season.

This picture was taken a little over two weeks ago that's them at the bottom of the picture they are about twice that height now!

it been really mild here no rain just sun at least 4hrs on the bad days temp might dip a little the next two nights so put the fleece on my chillis and peppers in the green house  im sure your will catch up they really put a spurt on after a few warm nights

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 14:36:19 »
Be careful with anything non-hardy!
The temperature forecast charts are showing minus temperatures for overnight Monday and Tuesday

6am Tuesday
http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20170415/00/78/ukmintemp.png
6am Wednesday
http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20170415/00/102/ukmintemp.png

So have your fleece at the ready :(

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 16:12:23 »
Be careful with anything non-hardy!
The temperature forecast charts are showing minus temperatures for overnight Monday and Tuesday

6am Tuesday
http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20170415/00/78/ukmintemp.png
6am Wednesday
http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20170415/00/102/ukmintemp.png

So have your fleece at the ready :(
indeed however we are forecast min 4 will still use the fleece. as we are just a mile from the sea it keeps the temp up just a little on the rest  of the area and my plots are the most sheltered on the site in the green house this week the min has been 8  tuesday is the lowest forecast  so will put on the fleece for good measure

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 15:49:19 »
having a salad tonight so i thought id harvest some of this years spring onions the old fav white lisbon what do you think?

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 17:40:30 »
Picked first radishes of the year today white lisbon salad onions wont be long I have been growing them in containers in the greenhouse
Barnsley S Yorks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 18:25:44 »
Picked first radishes of the year today white lisbon salad onions wont be long I have been growing them in containers in the greenhouse
thats great news cudsey  here in the soft south they were outside  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16:14 »
having a salad tonight so i thought id harvest some of this years spring onions the old fav white lisbon what do you think?

They look very lush. :icon_cheers:  My Welsh Onions this year are looking very good too.  The weather must have done something right for them, because I know, I haven't.   :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal