Author Topic: scaffold netting  (Read 1416 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
scaffold netting
« on: April 10, 2017, 08:22:35 »
  Never had much luck with carrots on this plot    Was told it were a mushroom farm previously The carrots only get to be about a inch high  the leaf turn brown and when dug up the roots have gone .. thinking"  Would this be carrot fly  ?know carrots need to be kept damp to germinate would  a cage made of scaffolding net allow enough water though  either by watering can or rain ?

lezelle

• Acre
Re: scaffold netting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 08:43:10 »
Hi Ya, I don't think it is carrot fly as the fly lays eggs and the maggots hatch then leaves red trails where they have eaten the carrot, to get them to disappear could be slugs. Unusual problem and I am very interested in what others think. If it was a mushroom farm how long ago? could be residual chemicals in the ground, Any sign of rabbits? Debris netting would help even to keep larger pests away. The fly doesn't usually show till summer time when the carrots are well growing as they smell the foliage from a mile away and home in on it. Does everything else grow OK? I imagine your cabbages would love it. I know they use a lot of lime in the mushroom compost and that could upset the balance. I use spent mushroom compost but only around my cabbages. what is your soil like? are you on compost from the farm, perhaps a good digging will help. Sorry I can't be of more help.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: scaffold netting
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:52:33 »
i use debris netting all the time its fine water passes through no problem however some water does  run along the netting making the edges a little wetter on my sandy soil this is a boon so i plant my hungrier plants close to the sides so they get more water than those in the middle you can always grow carrots in pots i do this alot yield is very impressive hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal