Author Topic: Recommendations, please  (Read 1783 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Recommendations, please
« on: April 09, 2017, 17:51:30 »
Having spent yesterday clearing most of the plants from my front garden (mostly Phygelius that had spread like a weed) I am now thinking about what to put in the space. I'd like a small tree or large shrub in the centre. The space is east facing and the plant would only be about 2.5 m from the house, so don't wnt to block out too much light or cause any damage with roots. Something with year round interest if possible. All ideas welcome, please. 

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Recommendations, please
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 16:15:07 »
Cornus, nice leaves pretty flowers, blue berries, autumn colour and coloured bark in the winter. Easy to prune to your required height and shape

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 16:32:40 »
There are so many that fits the bill, may I suggest you  have a look at the bottom half of the list in this link.

Click on the titles and that will take you to more detailed info and pictures of the selected shrub.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Plants%20for%20purpose/Plants%20for%20purpose.htm

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 19:22:32 »
Probably should have said we are on limestone here - am I right that Cornus prefer acid soil?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 20:37:52 »
Depends - the kousas prefer acid soil but the ones with colourful stems aren't fussed.  I had several different kinds in my alkaline garden in Belgium - alba sibirica, Midwinter Fire, elegans and the green stemmed one whose name I forget.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 22:01:28 »
I have apple trees in my front garden,  First the blossom, then the apples and they you can eat them.  Depending on the root stock they can be quite small.  But the apples are full size.  No problem re lime.  Then you can climb things up them, so extend the flowering.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 06:49:59 »
Probably should have said we are on limestone here - am I right that Cornus prefer acid soil?

Never thought of that, but this island is a big lump of chalk and they are growing everywhere, maybe our topsoil is neutral enough for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal