Author Topic: Cold hot and dry but things looking promising  (Read 1324 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Cold hot and dry but things looking promising
« on: April 06, 2017, 17:20:35 »
We have had frosts for the last three mornings and then it becomes quite hot.  Hardly any rain now for more than three weeks and the forecast rain for Tuesday next week has already disappeared from the forecast though I am still hopeful.
Doing well: rhubarb, currants in flower, mangetout, parsley (ex Tesco), broad beans, brassicas under bottles. onions from sets none missing though something keeps digging them up.  A few potatoes were popping up but the frost got them, so they are now well earthed up.  A few carrots have appeared, but no parsnips.  Over winter onions got all their tops knocked off by the black weed protection plastic from next plot in that storm a few weeks ago, but have come back strongly. 
I have two half plots and one has dandelions covering the plots either side.  Real pain.  We need some pigs.   
Quite a few new plot holders but quite a few empty plots mostly overgrown.
Getting fed up with people burning plastic - smells terrible.  I do hate people who light fires and then leave them burning.
Need some rain.
Everything well ahead.  Apple blossom starting, it was May last year.  And the whitebeam we say produces candles for my daughters birthday which is another three weeks, and it is now already passed the candle stage and the leaves are opening. 
Wizard beans self sown in August in the garden are starting to flower.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Cold hot and dry but things looking promising
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 16:45:59 »
its been fantastic here on the sunshine coast  peaches have set and my apricots have really set well every branch festooned with little green pips hope they all keep growing and the apple blossom is now out im having to look after my dads place as hes in hospital so only getting an hour  a day on the plot hope he will be out early next week so i can get stuck into spring
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Cold hot and dry but things looking promising
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:24:24 »
We have had frosts for the last three mornings and then it becomes quite hot.  Hardly any rain now for more than three weeks and the forecast rain for Tuesday next week has already disappeared from the forecast though I am still hopeful.
Doing well: rhubarb, currants in flower, mangetout, parsley (ex Tesco), broad beans, brassicas under bottles. onions from sets none missing though something keeps digging them up.  A few potatoes were popping up but the frost got them, so they are now well earthed up.  A few carrots have appeared, but no parsnips.  Over winter onions got all their tops knocked off by the black weed protection plastic from next plot in that storm a few weeks ago, but have come back strongly. 
I have two half plots and one has dandelions covering the plots either side.  Real pain.  We need some pigs.   
Quite a few new plot holders but quite a few empty plots mostly overgrown.
Getting fed up with people burning plastic - smells terrible.  I do hate people who light fires and then leave them burning.
Need some rain.
Everything well ahead.  Apple blossom starting, it was May last year.  And the whitebeam we say produces candles for my daughters birthday which is another three weeks, and it is now already passed the candle stage and the leaves are opening. 
Wizard beans self sown in August in the garden are starting to flower.

re fires our site only let you have fires between 1st Nov-31st mar  and anyone caught burning plastic is asked to leave and give up their plot  as we are surrounded  by houses this tends to stop complaints about washing on the line and smoke etc as most of the time between those months its not drying weather /bbqing and the like
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal