Author Topic: What is wrong with Dulcie  (Read 8979 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
What is wrong with Dulcie
« on: April 03, 2017, 21:53:19 »
Dulcie eats too much usually, but has spent  3 days on the dishwasher in the old cupboard.  He tried to get in the cat flap backwards, seems to know me. OH half says he is OK, I think he has a fit or a stroke, as doesn't follow me about and just wants to sleep in the cupboard.  Very worried about him. Will ring the vet tomorrow if he is not better, but he knows me, not too sure about his sight. OH says I am Miss Panic Button, but I know my cat. 

Hector

• Hectare
Re: What is wrong with Dulcie
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 22:40:54 »
Hope Dulcie is ok and you get good news
Jackie

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 23:00:40 »
Best get him checked by the vet, if only to set your mind at ease.  He may have had an incident, as you think, or he may have had a close shave with a vehicle or some other thing that has hurt him..

Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 07:00:19 »
Hope this is only temporary and he will be back to his old cheeky self soon.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:25:03 »
I agree, taking him to see the vet is the best idea, it does sound like he's not feeling right. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and he'll be back on his feet soon!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:38:56 »
He came off the dishwasher and asked for food this morning, so must be feeling better.  Back on the dishwasher in the cupboard which is good as OH is doing clearing out the lean to. Will keep an eye on him and hopefully tomorrow when things are back to normal he will be his old self.  Did have a new boiler fitted but he seemed OK with that and the noise. Shame animals can't talk. I think something frightened him a couple of nights ago when he was out late and not in our garden, which is not like him, or maybe he has a girlfriend, although he has been neutered. Obviously will have to be vet if he is not better soon. Thanks for listening.  :sunny:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 12:04:35 »
If you leave it too long he may be suffering unnecessarily and may have something that is harder to treat for being left. 

If he's not right, get him checked sooner rather than later.
Obxx - Vendée France

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 19:19:45 »
We all have our off days and feel under parr for no reason  Animals are the same  But best get him checked out  to put your mind at rest 

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 22:09:07 »
I knew that something was wrong with Dulce, so booked an appointment for tomorrow at the vets, then OH said he has just been sick on the dishwasher in the cupboard and ring the vet, so we got an emergency appointment at 7 pm in Enfield, and the vet was brilliant, even though he did another poo in the carrier, which they cleaned up for the 3rd time.  Then we had to drive to Barnet to the emergency vet, as they said it was serious, not the poo, but he couldn't wee, so we have left him there for blood tests, etc. said it couldnt wait any longer as was urgent, so he will be in for 3 days, will cost over £600, which is OK, but if the blood tests not OK, or other problems we have to make a decision when I get the results.  Got home at 9 pm and had a few tears, but suppose the vet is the best place for him, I do love that cat, and I just knew he was acting strange. No we hadn't got pet insurance but I have a few premium bonds I can cash in. Well Barnet animal hospital is quite posh, so hopefully they will look after him, they will ring me tomorrow.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 03:47:38 »
He's in good hands Borlotti, I hope they can get him sorted out really quickly. Must be really uncomfortable for him if he can't wee, poor thing.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 10:36:34 »
Got good treatment from the vet at Enfield at the vet at Barnet last night, no waiting and treated straight away.  Not the same can be said for the National Health Service recently.  Vet rang at 9 this morning, he is on a catheter and pain management.  Apparently this condition can progress very quickly so hopefully we got him to the vet in time.  She even asked what food he likes (fish), so he is in the best place.  Will be at least 3 days he has stay there. I didn't realise this condition is common in male cats, hopefully blood tests will be clear and he will be home soon.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 17:24:22 »
Very upsetting, I know what you mean re loving your cat. Hope you have good news soon. It sounds like they are caring and he is in a good place.

(If its any consolation we are stopping insuring ours and saving it instead, as find with older animals they just hike it up anyway and we pay a packet each month for years)
Jackie

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:47:20 »
I've heard a lot of people put aside money each month instead of paying for insurance. I haven't insured my rabbits either because none of the policies cover dentals which are commonly needed with Netherland Dwarfs like mine.

I do however have both bunnies and my cat Pixel on a "vaccinations for life" scheme at £99 each which is a real bargain.

Hope Dulce is feeling better today and munching his fish!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 14:50:05 »
Dulce is home from the vets, as he wasn't eating and very stressed.  He seems OK now apart from the fact he can't go out for 7 days, and keeps head butting the cat flap and has to use a dirt tray which he thinks is for sleeping in.  He is having a short nap on the bed whilst I type. Loads of pills, which will be a problem to get down him and change of cat food when we go back in 7 days.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 07:01:23 »
So pleased you have him home :) Hoping he is felling more himself soon :)
Jackie

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 08:48:47 »
Hi Ya, how is dulce doing? hope he is on the mend and looking good, what did they say was wrong? I know how you feel as I would be heartbroken if any of my pets were poorly. Fingers crossed

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 14:27:13 »
He has had a good weekend at home, apart from the fact he can't go out, and has to take 6 tablets a day, and 2 mouth squirts, but are a pain to do.  He hasn't done a poo, or a wee in the dirt box, so have made an appointment for tonight at 4.45 pm. Apparently if they have a blockage and can't wee, in 3 - 6 days they die, and not weeing was affecting his brain.  Have found the best way to get him to take pills is a tin of sardines, cut out the small bones and hide them in the liquid.  Think he did wet a bit on my old fleece last night, and my trousers this morning, which I was very pleased about (which is a funny thing to say) he is having a lovely sleep now so seems a shame to take him to the vet again, but can't let him suffer if he cant pee.  Bloods test all OK, but apparently male cats and men can get a blockage which is very painful and dangerous.  Probably will pee and poo in the carrier as he hates cars, carriers and vets.  He is asleep and I am very worried, as really can't face having to put him to sleep, but vets know best and don't want him to suffer. Hopefully just a check up and he can come home tonight.  Yesterday when it was so hot, did open the lean to door to inside not outside and he had a lovely sleep in there.  Bless. No more animals.  Not really want him to have to go on the catheter again, but he may have to, vet knows best and the High Barnet vet are brilliant, but it is costing me a fortune.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 16:44:26 »
I find it helps to crush pills with a  teaspoon and hide the contents in a bit of mince or sardines or butter.   

I hope he responds to all the TLC and you have many more years together.
Obxx - Vendée France

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 16:47:23 »
wishing very hard that you get the best kind of news.
Jackie

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 17:35:32 »
Come on Dulce! We're all rooting for your speedy recovery!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal