Author Topic: So annoyed right now...  (Read 2783 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
So annoyed right now...
« on: April 03, 2017, 18:28:10 »
A chap on a local forum offered a 6 by 8 foot greenhouse in decent condition.  Dismantle it and it is yours.  So on Saturday my and OH take 3 hours to take it down.  Back on Sunday for another hour and then I spent hours moving all the glass down to my plot - all by hand.  I left the ally frame in the front garden as I didn't want it in the car over night.

Came back from work today and the frame has gone.  No doubt some waste metal scallies nabbed it.  The most annoying thing is that it is probably worth less than a fiver in scrap but to me it was a free greenhouse that would have cost a few hundred to buy.

Now I am stuck with a ton of glass on my plot that is useless and I wasted most of my weekend. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: So annoyed right now...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 19:13:56 »
That IS annoying, to say the least! There are some horrible people out there (son in London was burgled at the weekend). :BangHead:

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 19:28:04 »
oh that is awful.  So very sorry.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 20:51:39 »
Rats!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 21:20:46 »
So sorry for your loss but up here in Brum any metal or electrical stuff you want to dispose of is left in front of your house.  It invariably goess however I was livid when tatters came up the entry by side of house and nicked a heavy metal pole of mine

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:57:36 »
After all that work!  So sorry to hear!  Ba....ds! :BangHead:  Hope you find another GH soon.   

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 17:48:10 »
So now someone has offered me a 10 x 7 ft one as a result of me ranting on my local forum!
I will have to go see it but not sure I can face taking it apart, moving it and putting it back together...

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 07:15:02 »
Good size though 10 by 7  :wave:
My OH was in a similar position a good few years ago
He was told he could have some wood at work if he dismantled it. Spent hours doing it then it was taken by someone else.  :BangHead:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 14:49:55 »
That is a proper pain! We have metal scavengers cruising the streets and they will come and take anything that isn't nailed down, even if it clearly isn't up for grabs.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 00:16:25 »
ooh 10x7 is most certainly a silver lining - go on, you know it'll be worth it.  I wonder if it's a SE London thing?  We lived in Greenwich many years ago and I had a sofa that I wanted to get rid of but couldn't find anyone to come and take it away (not even if I paid them!)  I manoeuvred it into the front garden so it was out of the way and carried on with housework (this was in the pre-allotment era)  A couple of hours later, the sofa had disappeared.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 04:54:23 »
I know it was a lot of wasted work.  But you will have to write that off and move on, 

10x7 on offer suggest you snap it up.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:44 »
I did go and look at the 10x7 one but it was old and out of shape (like me!) with some broken panes.  Lovely of the guy to offer it but I think it would have been near impossible to take down and re-erect..  Back to the drawing board.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 11:00:01 »
What a shame, a nice offer though Keep looking I'm sure you will find a good one again  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 12:14:54 »
So Sorry to hear about your greenhouse troubles, Nick.  I hope you find another one soon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal