Author Topic: Squash lasagne or mushroom moussaka (with squash)  (Read 1745 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Squash lasagne or mushroom moussaka (with squash)
« on: March 30, 2017, 22:12:35 »
Having seen squash slices for sale as alternatives to pasta lasagne leaves, i decided to use up my remaining squashes! I made a lovely lasagne with quorn mince (for my OH who needs to feel there is something meat like), then made a mushroom mousaka only using squash instead of aubergine as I am not a great fan. Both were really good and i can honestly say I prefer the squash to pasta. All going towards the 5 or 10 a day veggies

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Squash lasagne or mushroom moussaka (with squash)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:28:28 »
Thank you gwynleg, what a great substitution.  For the diabetics combined dishes where carbohydrate foods like pasta sheets, are incorporated in a dish are always tricky.  Unfortunately I love lasagna and do miss it.  I can happily cobble together a lasagna-like dish with squash slices.  Such a good suggestion.  And it helps to 'up' the vegetable count as you say.   :sunny: 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:17:57 »
Have been researching this a little more.  I don't have a dehydrator, but it would be easy to make our own 'fake lasagna sheets' by drying squash and that would keep year-round.  The other problem with lasagna is that diabetics who need to go low carbohydrate need to add much less flour than the usual recipe calls for.  But I have discovered crushed chia seeds as a thickening agent and they are readily available (mine were from Lidl).  Together with fromage frais and grated cheese, that will do nicely for the white sauce - I think.    Need to go and experiment  :icon_cheers: 

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 22:28:24 »
Isn't squash a high carb veg?🤔 I have been following a low carb diet for some months now and I use sliced courgettes to replace the pasta. My OH misses the pasta too. I have also found recipes that use cabbage leaves to replace the lasagna sheets but I think it should be called cabbage bake and not a lasagna😂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 00:11:15 »
Yes with 12 gr per hundred it is 'carby' but not as much as beans by a long way.   These are the figures for butternut squash which is very sweet, others will be less so.  You are right courgettes would be a lot less though.  Just over 3 per hundred.    :wave:

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 05:46:35 »
 I love using spaghetti squash  as the spaghetti in my spag bol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal